Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 89 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.4%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 108 7.6%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
This Spring will be 10yrs for us with chickens. I had always wanted them & finally convinced DH that it would be a great homeschool project. We did all of our research, built a incubator out of repurposed items from around the house & ordered the eggs.

I wont lie, it was an exhilarating experience hatching them, but they were both cockerels & we aren't zoned for roosters. We kept them for as long as we could while we added hens to the flock. Our first pullets were Red Sex Links because we were traumatized over rehoming our beloved boys & we needed to be 100% positive the next batch would be hens. RSL were a great beginner flock, but a little boring to look at (no offense ladies.) We've branched out a bit since then.

We added ducks & quail 5yrs ago & that was the catalyst for me to finally stop stalking the pages of BYC & actually become a member.

We have only hatched one other time & that was an experiment to see if we could broody hatch a carton of eggs that we had bought. Only one hatched. Again, it was an exhilarating experience & again, it was a cockerel.

The difference in a chick hatched/raised in an incubator/brooder vs a chick broody hatched & raised is as different as night and day. If I could broody hatch a million chicks I would, but unfortunately my luck with hatching pullets is exactly zero.
1579901389394.png

1579901619769.png

1579901768941.png

1579901835659.png

1579901946856.png

1579902034453.png

1579902138989.png

1579902261761.png

Woops! This got a little picture heavy.... The End.
1579902379239.png

This Spring will be 10yrs for us with chickens. I had always wanted them & finally convinced DH that it would be a great homeschool project. We did all of our research, built a incubator out of repurposed items from around the house & ordered the eggs.

I wont lie, it was an exhilarating experience hatching them, but they were both cockerels & we aren't zoned for roosters. We kept them for as long as we could while we added hens to the flock. Our first pullets were Red Sex Links because we were traumatized over rehoming our beloved boys & we needed to be 100% positive the next batch would be hens. RSL were a great beginner flock, but a little boring to look at (no offense ladies.) We've branched out a bit since then.

We added ducks & quail 5yrs ago & that was the catalyst for me to finally stop stalking the pages of BYC & actually become a member.

We have only hatched one other time & that was an experiment to see if we could broody hatch a carton of eggs that we had bought. Only one hatched. Again, it was an exhilarating experience & again, it was a cockerel.

The difference in a chick hatched/raised in an incubator/brooder vs a chick broody hatched & raised is as different as night and day. If I could broody hatch a million chicks I would, but unfortunately my luck with hatching pullets is exactly zero.
View attachment 2010112
View attachment 2010113
View attachment 2010114
View attachment 2010115
View attachment 2010116
View attachment 2010117
View attachment 2010119
View attachment 2010120

Woops! This got a little picture heavy.... The End.
View attachment 2010121
Well no worries on the “little picture heavy.”I loved it. You have beautiful birds.

Wow...let me count the years! So far I'm at 25 years raising chickens.
I began with a trio of chickens from my uncle's flock. He had breeders for his fighting game birds...now outlawed. :eek:
But my trio had lovely personalities and were very gentle. We lived in OKC and my neighbors did not mind having a crowing rooster in our city neighborhood. We had 1/2 an acre lot and my birds freeranged in our backyard making us early proponents of backyard chickens. Sadly a hawk took the rooster.y

When we moved to our farm, I still had the two hens and added 10 hens...a variety of breeds including a Silver-laced Cochin hen we called Lacey...and a Rhode Island Red rooster...named Rhody...not the most creative of names. :lau

Over the next 21 years my flock has had a number of different large fowl because I wanted a colorful flock of egg layers.
image.jpeg
I tried many breeds including Delaware, New Hampshire, Minorca (Buff and Black), Leghorn, Cochin, Marans, Orpington, Easter Eggers, Plymouth Rock, Buckeye, Polish, Sultan, Cornish, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte (Blue, Black, Barred, Columbian, BLR, Silver-Laced, White) and Sultan. Oh and the Naked Necks!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
And I wanted good broody moms.
My husband thought I was nuts when I told him about chicken math....and my first incubator.
And then I got my big cabinet incubator...hatching 108 eggs per tray...
image.jpeg
I almost became a chicken addict when I saw Bantams...
In Bantam breeds I've had d'Anvers, OEGB, Serama, Spangled Hamberg, Cochin, Rosecomb, Sebright, and Delaware.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Then I experimented with other poultry breeds including quail, pheasant, turkey, geese and ducks.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

My flock now numbers 109 and consists mainly of my favorite the Columbian Wyandotte, a few Black, Blue and White Wyandotte with a couple of Cochin, two Orpington, some cross breeds and a huge Blue rooster named Barney ( Wyandotte X Australorp) and a duck named Daisy. Daisy is here because she was hiding on a nest when I sold the other 41 in the duck flock early this month.
Here are a few of my Columbian.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm one of seven breeders for Columbian Wyandotte registered with the Wyandotte Breeders of America. These birds are a Heritage breed bred for dual purpose (meat and eggs). I am pretty proud of my flock.....can you tell?

Last edited:
Wow...let me count the years! So far I'm at 25 years raising chickens.
I began with a trio of chickens from my uncle's flock. He had breeders for his fighting game birds...now outlawed. :eek:
But my trio had lovely personalities and were very gentle. We lived in OKC and my neighbors did not mind having a crowing rooster in our city neighborhood. We had 1/2 an acre lot and my birds freeranged in our backyard making us early proponents of backyard chickens. Sadly a hawk took the rooster.

When we moved to our farm, I still had the two hens and added 10 hens...a variety of breeds including a Silver-laced Cochin hen we called Lacey...and a Rhode Island Red rooster...named Rhody...not the most creative of names. :lau

Over the next 21 years my flock has had a number of different large fowl because I wanted a colorful flock of egg layers.
View attachment 2010281
I tried many breeds including Delaware, New Hampshire, Minorca (Buff and Black), Leghorn, Cochin, Marans, Orpington, Easter Eggers, Plymouth Rock, Buckeye, Polish, Sultan, Cornish, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte (Blue, Black, Barred, Columbian, BLR, Silver-Laced, White) and Sultan. Oh and the Naked Necks!
View attachment 2010266View attachment 2010267View attachment 2010272
And I wanted good broody moms.
My husband thought I was nuts when I told him about chicken math....and my first incubator.
And then I got my big cabinet incubator...hatching 108 eggs per tray...
View attachment 2010265
I almost became a chicken addict when I saw Bantams...
In Bantam breeds I've had d'Anvers, OEGB, Serama, Spangled Hamberg, Cochin, Rosecomb, Sebright, and Delaware.
View attachment 2010276View attachment 2010277View attachment 2010278View attachment 2010279View attachment 2010280
Then I experimented with other poultry breeds including quail, pheasant, turkey, geese and ducks.
View attachment 2010264View attachment 2010268
View attachment 2010269View attachment 2010270

My flock now numbers 109 and consists mainly of my favorite the Columbian Wyandotte, a few Black, Blue and White Wyandotte with a couple of Cochin, two Orpington, some cross breeds and a huge Blue rooster named Barney ( Wyandotte X Australorp) and a duck named Daisy. Daisy is here because she was hiding on a nest when I sold the other 41 in the duck flock early this month.
Here are a few of my Columbian.
View attachment 2010273View attachment 2010274View attachment 2010275View attachment 2010271
That's a lot of birds!!! I think you need to keep that duck. She really wants to be with you!!

Back
Top Bottom