Official BYC Poll: How Many Square Feet Per Chicken?

How many square feet of space do you currently have per chicken?

Votes: 5 1.3%

Votes: 23 5.9%

Votes: 41 10.5%

Votes: 61 15.6%

Votes: 29 7.4%

Votes: 23 5.9%

Votes: 9 2.3%

Votes: 21 5.4%

Votes: 10 2.6%

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • 11+

Votes: 182 46.7%

• Total voters
Pics
1) 6 sq ft in the coop.

2) 30 sq ft in the run. Sometimes they get out and spend time in an additional 10 sq ft side yard space.

3) 0 free range.

My coop is 4x12 for 8 chickens.

Last edited:
My votes were 2 & 4. Usually I provide 4, but in high hatching season like now it is closer to two. Half of them are 7 weeks or younger, and they spend about 16 hrs a day outside. So far zero pecking problems. The run has 30-60 sq ft per bird depending on the current population in Cluck Town.

Free ranging in western PA, have 20 acres and plan on fencing in 2 acres for our growing flock.
Ca-ching. I have half an acre fenced with twice that laying on the ground waiting for me. Good luck, it was about $2.50 a foot for a 6 foot tall 2x4 welded wire fence. Those poles were 8 foot long and took the back of an ATV to get tall enough. One bird of 86 was able to fly out. Now she (an EE) is the only one with clipped wings.

Ca-ching. I have half an acre fenced with twice that laying on the ground waiting for me. Good luck, it was about $2.50 a foot for a 6 foot tall 2x4 welded wire fence. Those poles were 8 foot long and took the back of an ATV to get tall enough. One bird of 86 was able to fly out. Now she (an EE) is the only one with clipped wings.
So far the cheapest option I've seen is about 50$ per 6'x8' section, putting in the sections I want myself (and family), will be about 3k.we wanted to do this for a long time and the chick's just gave me extra incentive to do it. I will take extra help though! 😅

My coop is 6ft x4ft and about 5ft tall. So for 6 chickens, they have a good amount of inside space.

Their outside run is 500 Sq feet, so just over 83 sq feet of outside space.

How exactly do I figure out sq footage?? Math is not my thing. My cooper is 6×8 not including nesting boxes and if I remember correctly my run, which is getting expanded, is 10×12. We also have tons of roosting space inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom