Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 284 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 236 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 458 25.1%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Since the number of the chickens I have varies a lot I don't have a fixed timeframe. It can vary from once a week to everyday, basing on how many chickens there are. I simply go there and see (and sniff, too); if the bedding looks dirty I remove the dirty parts and put there fresh bedding. Also, when I clean the coop I scoop out the poops from the sand in the run.

My coop is sand based, so I scoop the droppings every morning and collect them in a bucket which gets emptied once a week. Takes only a few minutes & there is never a smell. I use sand in the run, too, and scoop & rake it daily (multiple times on weekends). I prefer a small daily chore to a large, smelly one several times a year. Plus, my chickens feet stay clean (can't stand to see poopy feet and prefer not to step in it, either)!

I actually only have to do light upkeep, my birds roost outside in the kumquat tree that’s enclosed in their run. I have a friend growing a small nursery, so he comes whenever necessary for him, or for me if its getting deep and he cleans the coop area into barrels that he takes back to the nurseries compost pile! He brings a bale of alfalfa for the girls, and he spreads out my fresh bedding...he thinks I’m doing him a favor...I’m wheelchair bound... So Yeah, no I’m the winner here! Anyways, like my vote above, he cleans it as needed.

Attachments

• 524DCB0E-A650-4073-87B4-B3486B04F85D.jpeg
    524DCB0E-A650-4073-87B4-B3486B04F85D.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 29
  • AA24ED67-C667-4423-8D8D-F969EEC5A12E.jpeg
    AA24ED67-C667-4423-8D8D-F969EEC5A12E.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 31
We installed poop trays under their perches so it catches all the poop! Just slide the trays out and empty in the compost. Hose them off once a week and done! We have 11 hens and a Roo, they come right out in the mornings and just go back in to lay. So not much gets on the floor of the coop 🙂 Which reminds me! I gotta go collect eggs!! 🐓

Back
Top Bottom