Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.9%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 135 32.2%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Silkie hen, 9 and half years old, still goes broody every month and still lays 3-5 eggs each week. Brilliant mumma, I allow her to raise 2-3 clutches a year... Also she has Never had any health problems at all!!
IMG20201205095540.jpg

My oldest is a Speckled Sussex who will be 8 this spring. Next oldest are two barnyard mixes who will be 5 this spring. This Sussex was still laying 3 to 4 eggs a week last year, but hasn't started laying yet this year. I'll be very sad when she finally passes, as she has been a wonderful hen. The two mutts are each still laying 3 eggs a week and were the only hens, save the spring hatchlings, who laid over this last winter.

She's a gem! Hope you have kept offspring, including at least one of her sons.
Mary
Yes, I have kept alot of her offspring since she has great qualities. ..I have a cockerel (nearly a year old) and one of her 14 week olds is a cockerel I'm keeping too. I love red leakage! ..I'm planning on her hatching one more clutch before the weather starts to cool down here.
IMG_20210214_142144.jpg
IMG_20210221_104442.jpg

Yes, I have kept alot of her offspring since she has great qualities. ..I have a cockerel (nearly a year old) and one of her 14 week olds is a cockerel I'm keeping too. I love red leakage! ..I'm planning on her hatching one more clutch before the weather starts to cool down here.
View attachment 2538708
View attachment 2538713
Silkies are the cutest I got my first silkies this yr we love them

My oldest is a SS named Joy. She is from my very first batch of chickens, and is only four years old. She’s went through a roller coaster of health issues last summer, including EYP, so her egg laying has come to a full stop. We’ll see what she does. I assume that all of it took a toll on her, and unfortunately it probably took a few years away. I’m hoping she lives much longer though, as we’ve formed a strong bond and I love her a lot ❤️
C61A3C0D-2020-438E-9EA2-4B0BC04857D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom