Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.9%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 135 32.2%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
She even looks old 😂
You offended her! :lol:

I gotta agree though. She is missing several toenails and needs extra protein. I think she may be developing a few rooster qualities, but I'm not sure yet cuz she likes to take her time!

We used a heat lamp her first couple of winters (and therefore forced her to lay) and I think that impacted her a lot. But some of that "gray" is a few pin-feathers that won't sprout, no matter how much extra protein she gets.

I am unable to answer that question with anything close to an actual number.
We started our flock with a foundling cockerel. Once he had a safe abode for himself and a number of hens, we went out to buy 3 hens for him. Although I had done a ton of reading on what to do and what not to do in order to keep chickens properly, I knew nothing about guessing the age of a hen. And, Man did the seller see me coming. :lau We bought 3 hens, 1 was a Mille flore something, that was a full size hen. She was beautiful and friendly and I named her Ursula. I will never know how old she was when we got her, but she was my pride and joy. She never laid an egg, ever. So she was past laying age when we got her and we have had at least one hen who laid fewer and fewer eggs until she was 7 years old.
We had Ursula for about 8 years, I guess. So she would have been at least 10 years old and probably 15 or more. She was and always has been missed. One day perhaps I will tell a few Ursula stories, she was rather bossy, even with the Rooster.

I am unable to answer that question with anything close to an actual number.
We started our flock with a foundling cockerel. Once he had a safe abode for himself and a number of hens, we went out to buy 3 hens for him. Although I had done a ton of reading on what to do and what not to do in order to keep chickens properly, I knew nothing about guessing the age of a hen. And, Man did the seller see me coming. :lau We bought 3 hens, 1 was a Mille flore something, that was a full size hen. She was beautiful and friendly and I named her Ursula. I will never know how old she was when we got her, but she was my pride and joy. She never laid an egg, ever. So she was past laying age when we got her and we have had at least one hen who laid fewer and fewer eggs until she was 7 years old.
We had Ursula for about 8 years, I guess. So she would have been at least 10 years old and probably 15 or more. She was and always has been missed. One day perhaps I will tell a few Ursula stories, she was rather bossy, even with the Rooster.
I'd love to hear the stories.

As Ursula got older, she became a little slower to keep up with the rest of the flock. So when we would go out front to free range. I would carry her out first and the call the rest of the flock out. In the mornings when they were let out to free range the back yard, Ursula was always last to exit the coop, which irritated the Rooster. He would go in and out of the coop clucking at her to hurry and get her butt outside.
Once when we were free ranging the front yard, I called all the chickens in and went back to get Ursula. When I got to the front, Ursula had crossed the street and was high tailing it for the service alley behind the empty lot.
She was running away from home! I guess she was sick of the rooster bothering her. I ran over and got her, gave her some extra love and a few treats and put her back in her favorite place. She never tried to run away again, but I don't think she was very happy that she didn't get away before I got to her.

Back
Top Bottom