Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.8%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 136 32.4%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
My oldest Dutch ‘Ini mini’ is turning 7 this spring. She has proven to be a wonderful broody and mother and she’s still very healthy and nimble.

I bought her as a chick when I started to keep chickens. She is my survivor of 4 chicks. One was a cockerel and was supplier of offspring the next year. Gave him to someone with a flock of Polish bantams because he was too loud early in the morning. I sold one sister of Ini mini with two chicks to someone who had a solitary chicken for companion. The other sister who was less flighty is lost. Probably taken by a buzzard when free ranging.

From the offspring that next year (2015) I kept 3 pullets. Still have them. These 4 Dutch lay an egg every other day from spring to autumn.
D583E05C-A801-4AA1-88F4-D5FCA940D610.jpeg

Edit: picture of Ini mini in front, two other Dutch behind her and 2 younger hens (Tournaisis and mix).

Last edited:
I lost my first flock to predators, so my oldest are three 4-yr old hens that were their successors - and they all have progeny among my current flock :)
Yeah, I love my progeny /offspring too. The black Dutch on the pic is a daughter of the first cockerel (pyle) and the lavender Dutch I lost. The pyle Dutch is a daughter of the one I sold and the same cockerel. And the mix bantam (left) is a daughter of Ini mini and a beautiful Tournaisis cockerel l gave away / couldn’t keep. 😁
Would be nice for another thread. : show us the father, mother and offspring. What do you get if you mix breeds or colors!

Done (edit): https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...pring-surprises-in-mixes-and-colours.1446254/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom