Official BYC Poll: Special Needs Poultry

Do you have, or have you ever had, any poultry with special needs?

• Total voters
I had a white sutan rooster that was 100% blind. He'd sit in a corner all-day kind of depressed (there was one point like for 2 months before he died that he would mingle in the flock and started crowing again ) untill he heard the food bin open then he'd come running and find my legs via crashing into them and sit on my feet as i'd scoop the feed and then he'd eat untill the other rooster chased him off.
Im pretty sure a fox got him but i dont really know.

Ehhh. Don't know if it counts as a serious disability. I had one ISA brown who was left with quite a few less toes in a predator attack, while she was recovering in the sick birds coop. That left her with a very slight limp, so she was named Koutsi, which means limp, or the one who limps in Greek. Probably the same night she broke her wing. I never noticed, because there isn't room to fly, and she held her wing fine. One year later when it had healed, she'd moved coops, tried to fly on the roost in front of me and failed. I picked her up (after struggling to catch her) and found her wing problem. She spent the rest of the days flightless and slightly limp. She passed away at 3 and a half some days agoView attachment 3610015
My heart aches for you Fluffy. :hugs

I have had a few geriatric birds over 11-12 years old that as they aged could not roost and had to sleep on the floor, regular beak and claw trimmings, went blind, had arthritis and required a special diet, heat on frigid days, etc...

Had 2 birds that had strokes, this one had Congestive Heart Failure and I had to drain her belly every few days for a couple of months... My sweet Tillie...
View attachment 3610026

View attachment 3610028

She lost the use of her legs so she lived in this tub with towels to support her so she wouldn't fall over. Daily I brought her inside to clean her up and change her bedding. She got goodies for being such a good girl after her clean up, she'd get so excited when I opened up the treat bag she'd nearly squirm right out of her tub! She was a happy girl all the time regardless of her condition, eventually she did pass away. Broke my heart to pieces. 💔
She looks so sweet! You are a great chicken parent to have taken care of her so well and also to have had such geriatric birds 🥲

I've had a couple of crossbeaks, nothing severe though.
PIctures?
My Speckled Sussex Curly had a litany of issues. She was treated twice for wry neck, with one treatment session lasting 6 weeks as she couldn't pick her front end up at all and was basically eating and drinking and sitting with her face in the ground.
Poor girl. What was the treatment?
She had an extra toe on each foot, but not the type you'd usually see with fifth toes, it was more like an extra, very thick back toe on each side (you can see it on the left foot here), which also affected her balance - in fact she earned her name because she couldn't walk in a straight line and made curly-Qs to get from point A to B.

curly.jpg
Interesting, I don't think I've seen toes like that before.
Her wings were deformed, like a split wing. It wasn't an issue at first but as she got older she could no longer get up on the roost without crashing and spent most of the night on the floor instead.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg
Wow. I wonder what causes that. I think I remember seeing one of mine with something similar.
She made it to about 2 1/2 yrs old before I culled her since she was struggling to walk so badly that she was flopping from place to place. Surprisingly she did lay a few eggs in her time, which is more than I can say for some of my duds. :p
Sorry you had to cull her. :hugs

Thinking of Koutsi reminded me of her short-term boyfriend. Koutsos. As you can tell by his name, he was limp. He was more obvious. His was genetic, and at 4 months became more prominent and prominent. He was an Oriental Gamefowl male, brother to my baby Big Red. He was as sweet as Big Red is, he even liked to fly onto my arm even more than Big Red sometimes. He was given to an acquaintance, but his current state of being is unknown
20221222_150152_1.jpg

Thinking of Koutsi reminded me of her short-term boyfriend. Koutsos. As you can tell by his name, he was limp. He was more obvious. His was genetic, and at 4 months became more prominent and prominent. He was an Oriental Gamefowl male, brother to my baby Big Red. He was as sweet as Big Red is, he even liked to fly onto my arm even more than Big Red sometimes. He was given to an acquaintance, but his current state of being is unknownView attachment 3610035
Such a beautiful bird. :love

Back
Top Bottom