Official BYC Poll: Special Needs Poultry

Do you have, or have you ever had, any poultry with special needs?

• Total voters
PIctures?
Bumblebee and Custard. They're pretty mild. Strangely both birds were/are my best layers.
crossbeak1.jpg
crossbeak2.jpg

Poor girl. What was the treatment?
Liquid Vit E and Vit B complex, plus selenium from BOSS, tuna and eggs. I don't really measure things, so a few drops of each vitamin were mixed into a small cup of FF twice a day.
Interesting, I don't think I've seen toes like that before.
Lol well it made me paranoid enough that now I ask to see a chick's feet as they're being pulled from the pullet bins, just so I can make sure I don't get another case like this.
Wow. I wonder what causes that. I think I remember seeing one of mine with something similar.
Not a clue. I included the chick photo so it's clear she had it from the start.

I have 4 currently. 1 pretty blind (we think she can still see light and shadows, but that's about it) and 3 with limb amputations (2 missing all or the majority of their toes amd 1 missing her lower leg)
Oh. And a hen who hatched with something wrong with a foot. She couldn't walk right as a chick and when she was too heavy for that type of walking, she broke the toes in the bad foot

I have had a few geriatric birds over 11-12 years old that as they aged could not roost and had to sleep on the floor, regular beak and claw trimmings, went blind, had arthritis and required a special diet, heat on frigid days, etc...
How did you accommodate the blindness? And how did you provide heat?
Had 2 birds that had strokes,
:eek:What were they like after the strokes?
this one had Congestive Heart Failure and I had to drain her belly every few days for a couple of months... My sweet Tillie...
IMG_20160312_102026.jpg

IMG_20160318_085813.jpg

She lost the use of her legs so she lived in this tub with towels to support her so she wouldn't fall over. Daily I brought her inside to clean her up and change her bedding. She got goodies for being such a good girl after her clean up, she'd get so excited when I opened up the treat bag she'd nearly squirm right out of her tub! She was a happy girl all the time regardless of her condition, eventually she did pass away. Broke my heart to pieces. 💔
I have had a few geriatric birds over 11-12 years old that as they aged could not roost and had to sleep on the floor, regular beak and claw trimmings, went blind, had arthritis and required a special diet, heat on frigid days, etc...

Had 2 birds that had strokes, this one had Congestive Heart Failure and I had to drain her belly every few days for a couple of months... My sweet Tillie...
View attachment 3610026

View attachment 3610028

She lost the use of her legs so she lived in this tub with towels to support her so she wouldn't fall over. Daily I brought her inside to clean her up and change her bedding. She got goodies for being such a good girl after her clean up, she'd get so excited when I opened up the treat bag she'd nearly squirm right out of her tub! She was a happy girl all the time regardless of her condition, eventually she did pass away. Broke my heart to pieces. 💔
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom