Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Weasels and Raccoons for coop break-ins are my varmints. Hardware cloth is best investment. Leave no gaps--and set those small fencing nails close together. Cover seams with a strip of wood. A weasel can squeeze through small gaps that a raccoon cannot. Both will pull and test the mesh. Poultry netting is cheaper but doesn't hold up to those two predators. Poultry netting is only effective for separating chickens within a building/coop. I speak from experience and many losses. Also, I installed a battery operated light w/sensor. It'll help me see my target if it is bold enough to hang around.

I had to keep my baby chicks in my bedroom for 2 weeks just to be safe while I finished putting 1/2" hardware cloth on their coop.I'm now making them a run out of 2 x 4's, cinder blocks and 1/2" hardware cloth.I loathe weasels.

Weasels MURDER whole flocks at a time. And sneak in through the tiniest holes.
My reading says a hole the size of a quarter. Thereby....hardware cloth. I am not sure, but I have heard (with my ears) that they don't climb much. Eliminated cracks and spaces they will crawl in might be a good idea. I run 1/2" hardware cloth 3.5 feet up around all my coop areas that have roosts.

I raise a lot of non-aggressive roosters.
Most complaints come from Op's who raise a mixed gender of day old chicks together as a flock (hence the term "human raised" ) They don't have an established flock of older chickens to integrate their chicks into when they feather out good (or choose not to) Many don't have a mature alpha rooster to keep young cockerels in line either. If you've managed to raise a lot of non aggressive roosters without the help of an established flock and a good rooster you've done better than most! Most people can't sorry!

My dog grabbed one of my chickens when they were about 2 months old and I got so mad at him and I kicked him, he’s a super nice dog normally so I was surprised. He hasn’t gone near them since and my head hen used to chase him before she was stolen

My dog grabbed one of my chickens when they were about 2 months old and I got so mad at him and I kicked him, he’s a super nice dog normally so I was surprised. He hasn’t gone near them since and my head hen used to chase him before she was stolen
SToLeN?

Back
Top Bottom