• Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Hey folks, let's not let this turn into any kind of debate as to anyone's mores or opinions. This is simply a survey as to which predator has inflicted the most damage to our flocks. It's purpose is to point out which predators we have to be the most concerned with, and then allow us to research effective control measures.

OPA hear - hear - right on. The way this thread is heading, the mods will end up closing it. Can we please get back to (animal) predators. Thank you

Gallusgal, do you really have rats kill healthy birds? My only issue I've had with rats was them scratching the poison out of the t-post PVC bait station, which my birds then ate.
sad.png

Last edited:
I haven't had anything kill any of my birds. However, at other facilities I've worked at, rats have been an issue less for healthy adult birds than for chicks and for older hens who make the mistake of hanging around on the floor at night.

hit.gif
Neighbors DOG and not a big one either. Just lost one of my Barred Rocks today and the other is injured, may lose her too. Does any one have an ideas on how to nurse a wounded bird? It is in her tail end and I worry what may happen when she tries to lay and egg. Also should I keep her isolated so the other don't peck at her?

Last edited:
My hen just broke her wing and i was told to keep her isolated for awhile.
I have learned from experience that they will not lay eggs if they have just been traumatized. At least mine doesn't. Mine won’t even go in the coop so she is isolating herself,I don’t know if it is on purpose or she is just frightened, I suspect fear. All you can do is clean the wound and hope for the best. Maybe someone else has a better idea but that is what I am doing and my girl is coming along fine. If the bird is eating and drinking that is a good sign. But she might hide during the day.

I polled snakes. My grandmother lives in the country where all of the predators can be an issue. We have seen every print and predator possible. Everyone on the list, but the biggest problem is the snakes. they finagle their way through the chicken wire and curl up in the nesting boxes.

Opossum!!! never seen them around here and i was surprised last night where my birds were screaming like crazy..
went in to check a mom Opossum and 3 little ones had taken out 2 nests 14 eggs gone and due in a week
sad.png

first time i let the hens hatch their own instead of using the bator..looks like its back to the bator.. :S

Sadly, when birds are injured treating them is difficult and oft times futile. However, unless internal organs are visible, or the bird appears in major respiratory destress I would try to treat them. It is amazing what they can come back from. Isolate the bird, clean affected area with something like a betadine solution. Then cover open areas with an antibiotic ointment. Even gaping wounds can be sewn up and treated. Insure the bird is kept in a clean dry area and add an electolyte to the water. I have had good success using Poultry Drench.

I personally would not take a bird to a vet. I can't afford spending in excess of $100 on a $10 bird. If I don't think my treatment will be sucessful I don't hesitate to cull.

Best wishes and good luck

Hawk!!!! One summer I lost over 30 chickens of different ages, mostly young ones.
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
I have seen one swooped on a large heavy BR hen (It was my sister's hen) right in front of me!!
ep.gif
I ran yelling my head off at that hawk. It flew away.
tongue.gif
I think I have lost less grown chicken when I added guinea hens to my flock for that very reason. Once, I was outside just admiring my flock 50+ of chickens and a pair of guineas, while they were free ranging in the backyard, when my guinea male made a warning sound, in the blink in a eye, nary a chicken was seen anywhere. So I looked up and just a tiny little speck in the sky was a hawk! No dinner for that blasted hawk!
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom