Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
The worst predator, to me, are other people's pets that are left out carelessly to roam. Especially if said loose pets manage to get over or under the fences of the yard of the person who owns the chickens. Loose "pets" are the worse, because in many cases (such as in our city), they are not allowed to be loose, so any possible chicken casualties (especially those that happen despite the chicken owners having their chickens inside a fenced-off coop/run) are completely preventable, as the pet owners broke the laws to begin with.

A dog killed my mothers chickens (the dog was eventually killed by the owner who didn't want to own a dog this mean). A fox killed my rabbits about 9 years ago and also the rabbits and chickens of our neighbors twice. And a rat killed two of my chicks a couple of years back. Never had trouble with other predators so far.

I've choosen foxes, they are the worst predator I encountered. Because of the surplus killing and the awful sight the leave behind them after a visit. This makes them worse then dogs and rats. And I don't like their brutality, coming into my garden and staring in my face in broad daylight.

Since I started posting about my problems here in the forums, the theft actually didn't occur anymore. I hope it will stay this way... I feel really bad when im loosing my chicks
Bad news... It happened again... I don't know if its an animal or if it was stolen. there was no blood marks though, and the hole is kinda large..

So far I've only had an issue with hawks but they have a nest roughly 200 yards from my coop and run. The hawks have approached the run and tried to get in but never successfully. As for raccoons, my garbage seems to be a much easier target for them. My chickens are always in the coop at night and the coop is pretty secure. I've had my chickens since early August and haven't lost a chicken yet.

I did lose a pet cat several years ago to either a raccoon or coyote. She was an indoor cat but would occasionally try to sneak out. One evening she snuck out without anyone noticing, and spent the night outside. Overnight she got into a fight with either a coyote or raccoon. She survived it and was at the door in the morning meowing. We kept an eye on her for a few days, but she had several cuts and bites, so we called the vet and he advised we put her down because she may have contracted rabies.

I have another cat and I have two small dogs, one is smaller than some of my chickens so I'm still very mindful of raccoons, coyotes, hawks, etc.

Last edited:
My old roo Jim Henson lost his legs to a weasel, lived for years after, and then another weasel came and finished him off.

And just days ago, I lost my best boy to a hawk...

So many bad predators out there.

I was curious as to which predator the most chickens have been lost to.
It depends on where you live and how well your confinement area is built. Out west the biggest is coyote in California, where Joe Rogan had many Chickens before the Fires hit his area and his coup was damaged. He had a temporary one built when he came back home and the (coyotes) ripped the roof off and killed the dozen or so he brought back. The poll is incomplete really because Crows are known to attack chic's and ducklings as well for food. Has anyone registered that? I am not picking on Crows since they are my favorite Birds, but they are scavengers and one of the smartest birds ever.

Lost 6 in a night to either a dog or mongoose. Saved a couple hens from dog attacks and nursed back to health. Lost couple of chicks to a mongoose again.

Since no mongoose in the list, I go with dog.

Back
Top Bottom