• Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I would have to say hawk, b/c many of them have simply vanished. Others were killed in tragic attacks by the neighbor's dogs. A few were eaten by coons. I think our only other predators have been possums and snakes, and they only eat the eggs.

I have only lost a large quantity to coyote, couple to fox....
haven't read whole thread but I would say worst predator is a person,,,, cuz I can't dispatch them
hmm.png

I have a whole range of preditors here, no wolves (didn't see anyone on the thread having a problem with wolves) , bear or mountian lions. I have yotes, bobcat, skunks, coons, possums, fox, snakes, hawks and owls and more, Snakes have been the only wild preditor to take anything, dogs have killed 5 this year and my 2 Embden Geese have killed 6 chickens before I realized they were the ones doing the killing I didn't know what was getting them, I've lost a few rabbits to dogs also so it's dogs that get my vote next I would have to say snakes i've lost a lot of eggs to ratsnakes and recently have been trapping a lot of copperheads that may have taken several chicks.

We live near a river, and while we are new to chickens and (luckily) have not yet lost any to predators, we have built "chicken fortresses" with hardware cloth and 16"x16" stepping stones most of the way around. Coyotes are out during the day cruising the coops, and a fox has left us a "present" 3 days in a row to let us know she or he is planning something. The wildlife center told us raccoons will pull the hardware cloth right off the coops, so we are putting up trim this weekend... our hard-pan soil helps keep some of the diggers out, I'm sure. Neighbors dogs killed our entire flock about 12 years ago, and we've waited this long to get back into chickens. Didn't realize how much we've missed them.

I think I would have to say that dogs are the number one danger. I am planning on locking the chickens in the coop at night to see if that will keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom