Official BYC Poll: What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

• I've covered the run with a tarp or solid roof stop poop from flying birds coming into the run

Votes: 76 31.0%
  • I've covered the run with netting to prevent wild birds from coming into the run

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • I've stopped putting out feed for wild birds

Votes: 95 38.8%
  • I've stopped free-ranging my poultry

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • I've made a new or temporary fenced area or run

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • I don't allow visitors near my chickens

Votes: 70 28.6%
  • I've temporarily stopped bringing in new chickens from elsewhere

• I keep the feeders and waterers clean and do not give wild birds access to these facilities

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • I thoroughly clean all equipment I use with my chickens (shovels, rakes, etc.)

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • I clean up spilled feed so as to not attract wild birds

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • I clean & disinfect the chicken coop thoroughly regularly

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • I have special clothing and shoes ready to use when handling my chickens only

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • I do not share equipment with or reuse equipment from other flocks

Votes: 96 39.2%
  • I've stopped reusing egg cartons from others who keep chickens

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • I've stopped going to chicken shows and auctions

Votes: 50 20.4%
  • Nothing

• Other (please elaborate in the comments section below)

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
Looks neat and tidy. Mines a little janky at the moment šŸ˜¬
Take my word for it mine is junked from winter
there is a lot of ā€œa round to itā€™sā€ that will be fine as soon as weather allows, we had about 3 days of early spring sunshine that triggered my weekend worrier spirit and I almost did myself in šŸ¤£šŸ˜šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

When I first heard about it, it was here on BYC, I called our county extension agent, he told me only one county here in Texas had been affected, Erath County, which is well over a hundred miles from me. Being a bird nut, and really hated doing that since I've fed them for many many years, I took down my wild bird feeders down and didn't add any new chickens to the flock so I assume we missed it here. Since I haven't heard or read anything new I did put a couple of feeders back up yesterday. I really missed seeing all the doves, blue jays, and cardinals, maybe they will start visiting again.

When I first heard about it, it was here on BYC, I called our county extension agent, he told me only one county here in Texas had been affected, Erath County, which is well over a hundred miles from me.
Confirmed cases in Dallas, Denton, Rockwall, Lampasas as well as Erath Counties as of March 2023. (I'm in far north Texas.) Still a very low infection rate compared to other regions.

Perhaps someone has already posted this info elsewhere, but I have been using this map:
https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/live-migration-maps/ to monitor bird migration routes and numbers. At least it gives me an idea of when there is heavy flyover in my area, and I can then curtail free ranging as needed. I realize the virus can stay active on surfaces for an extended period of time, just using this as a guide for obvious potential risk.

Back
Top Bottom