Official BYC Poll - What Breed Characteristic Is Most Important?

What is your most important charachteristic when choosing a breed?

• Climate Hardiness

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Meat Production

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aesthetics / Looks / Showability

• Egg Production / Quantity

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Temperament / Personality

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Egg Color

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Heritage / Endangered

• Total voters
Climate Hardiness is a no brainer -- none of the others matter if the bird won't survive in your climate.

Quote:
I doubt there are many back yard chickens, especially those that are raised as pets, that will produce cheaper meat than the bargains available at big supermarkets. Quality is a separate matter.

Last edited:
I have to say climate hardiness. I have heritage Buckeyes, which are know for their cold tolerance but weathered three weeks of triple digit temps without batting an eye. I will spend the winter worrying about my Australorps and OEGBs if we start having more ice storms and I hated watching my Buff Brahma bantams suffer in the summer heat. I like birds that don't require drastic measures to keep them alive during extreme weather.

Quote:
Yes, it amazes me too, isn't there enough more suitable species for pets like dogs, cats, ferrets, rats, snakes, if one isnsist on birds there are canarries, parrots, cockatiels, finches, lovebirds, to name just a few.

Domestic poultry make very poor pets.

What kind of pet it is that needs to take crap every few minutes, can not be potty trained so it can not be kept home?

And pleaseeee .... don't want to hear about diapers for chicken and ducks. This is pure aberration.

As I live in Ireland, they need to be pretty rain proof (not keeping birds indoors all day or solidly roofed like you have to for Silkies here) and capable to take a fair bit of strong sun in the summer, fresh breeze from the sea all year round, and a fair amount of freezing nights/snow in the winter. So, I have brahmas, orpingtons and seramas. All live outside in pens all year round, but the biggies get to roam the garden most of the day if it's dry.

I like to breed and live on eggs, so always going to be chickens for me!

Last edited:
Quote:
Me too! I like to have something a bit unusual and think supporting the rare breeds is the perfect way to do that and meet the other criteria.

For me they need to be:
1 Rare
2 Duel purpose (meaty cockerels justify keeping a rooster and breeding to my DH and they have to lay to pay for their feed)
3 Able to survive our hotter than heck summers
4 Hens that will go broody so they can raise their own chicks
5 Pretty to look at (too me) because there is no point keeping something you don't love.

Show quality is a bonus. (Aiming for it but finding it hard to find rare breeds that meet the standard)
Colorful eggs are also a bonus. (I'll add a few novelties to the layer flock)
Temperament is easy, nasty birds taste good.
wink.png

Well, when I did my list a couple of years ago to pick a breed my first thought was color and pattern. I knew they would be free ranging so camfloge was a big point. After that it was size had to be large breed, and broody( hubby's want) I had a few that I had to pick from so I narrowed it down to American from that. From that I did not want a breed with a state name, I know strange requirment there but it was my quirk.

Selection lists like this truely do help one trying to decide what breed.

Quote:
I live on and run a cattle ranch, and temperament is one of the characteristics we select for.....if you can't work with the animals without getting hurt, any other traits don't matter.
smile.png
Same for chickens and mine are not pets. If I have to deal with an aggressive rooster or flight hens, it's no fun. It's not my first priority, but it's important. Temperament is of primary consideration in any domestic animal, IMO.

Becky in bright but cold North Dakota

As I mentioned before, I've never had any breed of chicken that was mean or overly aggressive, so this is not a trait that I have particularly looked for. I guess I would if I had chickens like the one's everyone else describes. I've had many breeds of standard, dual-purpose layers and have never had to deal with aggression, no matter what the breed.

I agree that good temperament is desirable in livestock~I've never had anything BUT good temperaments, so I guess the water is especially good in this state!
wink.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am one of the heaviest Cullers around, and I process. I don't have pets for breed for show, see below.
I did not vote as there is never 1 reason to make a choice.

But temperament has to be high up there for breeders, or they don't stay long. Wouldn't want those traits past on and trust me I do not have chickens for pets.
Temperature - because they are going to have to live in extreme heat and humidity and I won't be pampering them long, just tell they make the adjustment.
They are for meat and eggs so they are Dual Purpose- no matter what they are normally considered.
Pretty, because I want eye candy. If they don't meet standard that's OK, I'll breed what I want to look at myself.
Heritage - because we are loosing so many breeds due to APA standards and lack of interest (The reason for BYC- to bring back interest). Ooooh, so controversial, Non-Setting, think about it. I think it should be removed from all breed standards, in the Standard of Perfection. Want to save breeds get that one standard removed. Breed for broadiness then start breeding for quality and sustainability, instead of showmanship. (Broody hens have rumpled feathers in case some don't know - the reason it was made a standard, laughs on us, huh).

I like the way you think!

Back
Top Bottom