Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Pics
His brother, Kyle, is a sweet heart. Kyle took over the flock now that Prince is gone and is super nice and have never even attempted to challenge me. He maybe more human submissive since Prince used to whoop his butt. Kyle squats if I approch him. 😂 and follows me around for food and comes when he is called.
He is still learning to be gentle on his ladies those.. He obviously has his favorites 🙄
That's good the other one turned out nice.
My only nice RIR rooster was cannibalized by his Barred Rock hens one day. It was not a nice site.

I have only ever has 1 really obnoxiously aggressive rooster if I don't count the lone guinea that was in my flock. He was a lovely Malines rooster. I really wanted to keep him but he wouldn't stop so I rehomed him to a farmer that wanted an aggressive rooster for free ranging. However I know he may have gone to freezer camp at some point. But I made sure they understood he was aggressive up front. My Svarte Hona was mildly so, but all I had to do was turn and look at him and he would stop. My Silkie was top rooster in a 100 bird flock with many various breeds and ages of roosters. He was the smallest, but ruled with an iron glove. He never challenged me once. I agree that no one method is the answer and all roosters and all flocks act and respond differently.

I’ve only had 4 aggressive roosters out of 15. 2 were rehomed because the person wanted that breed (JG). The other 2 were culled because we couldn’t break them of their bad mating habits (drawing blood) and attacking dogs and us.

Ozzy my deathlayer tries to challenge me sometimes, but if I run at him, he instantly rethinks his decision. Plus I usually have treats and he knows it 🤣

We’ve unfortunately ended up with 3. Yeah we snuffed the rooster. I just can’t eat them. I eat meat but I can’t bring myself to eat something I’ve raised and loved.
I love all the meat birds I raised. Just gotta think about how they're gonna feed you, & you knowing exactly what they're eating. Also knowing they had a happy life before becoming your meal.

We’ve unfortunately ended up with 3. Yeah we snuffed the rooster. I just can’t eat them. I eat meat but I can’t bring myself to eat something I’ve raised and loved.
That's interesting, I feel the exact opposite way. Chicken is a part of my diet, and it would feel incredibly disrespectful to slaughter them, discard them and then go out and buy another one to eat.

If they are aggressive to people for no real reason they get a cozy spot next to some vegetables in the kitchen. However if they are aggressive to other animals, then it is harder to justify.
Do I want a rooster to dropkick every other rooster that tries to mount his hens? Absolutely, because it is both hilarious and it keeps unneccessary pressure off the ladies.
Do I want a rooster to bring the rain on strange animals that come to visit? Absolutely, stray cats and dogs are bad in my area (or used to be). If me or the dogs aren't around somebody has got to watch over the hens and chicks.
What I don't want is a rooster that might damage my pups just for walking by.
While I can't fault them for it, I also don't appreciate a rooster that won't let another rooster run away or will set and shuffle or a rooster that can't get up. I won't cook the for that immediately, but when it comes time to cull that is just one more mark against them.

I've only had two roosters that were human - aggressive, I trained them not to attack me, but I've had one that was aggressive to the other roosters, I rehomed him, and I have two right now that are aggressive to my bantam rooster, so they are going to be re homed shortly as well - they are both big EEs and my tiny Japanese bantam is no match for them.

I have 3 boys at the moment, 2 roosters and a cockerel.
I haven't had a problem with aggressive behaviour untill my cockerel pecked me (and I bled) but I gave him a quick 'peck' on his head and he went away although he has attempted again once I did the same thing and he went away. He was the most friendly chick so I was shocked at his behaviour but it is teenage hormones I think so I will not get rid of him just yet. He doesn't run at me and attack, he still is half friendly and likes a pat.
If I did have an aggressive rooster (as in run out at my kids on full attack) I would get the broomstick and kill him. I hope it never happens though I love my beautiful boys.

Back
Top Bottom