Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
I tried so hard to keep my Roo “Trouble” ,but he just wouldn’t quit - ended up re homing him because I couldn’t bare to eat him - 😞- hubby named him when he was 3 days old & he lived up to his name ....

Attachments

• 90229D27-EAB6-4096-A675-A5B4756E22A7.jpeg
    90229D27-EAB6-4096-A675-A5B4756E22A7.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 12
I tried so hard to keep my Roo “Trouble” ,but he just wouldn’t quit - ended up re homing him because I couldn’t bare to eat him - 😞- hubby named him when he was 3 days old & he lived up to his name ....
Pretty boy! 😍 I had one just like it about 4-5 years ago and he was the sweetheart of course we had saved him so he was a jerk at first but then we treated him like a baby and then "boom" he was a loving little sweetheart ❤.

He got one freebie, when he charged me while snatching up hens to weigh them. Then he attacked my wife, while she threw treats to the flock.

That evening, he became sausage. Tasty, if a bit fatty. I should have targeted 22% fat in the sausage, rather than 26-28%, chicken fat is far less firm at room temp than cow or pig fat. Live and learn. Well, I did. ;)

But yes, based on age, either stew or sausage.

Most males I cull before they are old enough to seriously show interest in the girls, so their hormones have not driven them to full aggression, merely dominance displays.

I respect their established pecking order. I have a dutch bantam and another full size rooster that are aggressive, but get along with each other. The two of them rule. Any new rooster that joins the flock gets chased away and I do not interfere. If I worry about the new ones safety, the new rooster is the one put in protective jail, not the established ones. All the new roosters I have had are so gentle and sweet they get chased off, but some have been around a while and get along. I help the new ones by protecring them when I can. Some have been outright rejected and have to free range far away for the day and sneak into sleep at night.

20210516_002657.jpg

20210516_002423.jpg

Last edited:
At different times I have culled two roos who were just nasty and creating a lot of stress in the flock; in both cases flock dynamics improved immediately after. I think it must be in their genes, because I currently have 4, aged between 4 years and 8 months, and they are all fine, individually and together. The dom briefly chases the others around the garden every now and then, to show everyone who's boss, but much more often two of them are roaming with the hens while the grand-daddy tends the youngster subflock and the fourth is lounging around elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom