Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

• I retire them to garden duty (munching on bugs, fertilizing my soil, weed control etc)

Votes: 72 38.5%
  • I keep them as pets allowing them to live out their days

Votes: 141 75.4%
  • I sell them

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • I rehome them/ give them away

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • I use them for brooding

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • I process them for the pot

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • I humanely cull & dispose of them

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • My hens die before reaching "hentirement"

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
When my hens stop laying, I just let them live their lives the same as always, without culling them. Life is pretty much the same for them. They eat, drink, take dust baths, squabble over grubs, and get lots of love from me. ❤️ I let them live as long as possible until the time comes for their spirits to fly to heaven.
Same here, also that was the most gorgeous thing ever ❤️

I don’t consider a hen truly mature until she’s 2 years old. Prior to that, she’s just a teenager. Mature hens make the best chicks and are the best mothers. So no, I don’t cull past 2 years old as seems to be the current trend among homesteading chicken keepers.

If one makes it to a decade, and none of mine ever have to my recollection, I figure she’s earned the right to live until she dies. I figure even a super survivor like that will get picked off once she slows down. I don’t think I ever had a free ranger just die of old age.

My older hens are still able to dig, they still make fertilizer, and provide "hentertainment" for me and my family. They lay occasionally still. They are my soil turning, compost pile flipping, garden employees. They are about three and a half, so not that old.

I have a couple not so friendly hens that may go to the stew pot, and one that seems to have a reproductive issue that I may cull and process if it progresses too much.

But I'll always have some older hens to train the younger chickens how to scratch, behave in a flock, and who feeds them treats.

Back
Top Bottom