Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

• I retire them to garden duty (munching on bugs, fertilizing my soil, weed control etc)

Votes: 72 38.5%
  • I keep them as pets allowing them to live out their days

Votes: 141 75.4%
  • I sell them

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • I rehome them/ give them away

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • I use them for brooding

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • I process them for the pot

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • I humanely cull & dispose of them

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • My hens die before reaching "hentirement"

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
I let them live as long as they are able to. I had 2 SLW's that lived until they were about 14. And I currently have an Ancona who's reached the double digits and seems to be going strong :love
Wow! My senior ladies are 8 yrs old. I thought that was old! 14? Wow. New goal for the old gals.
I have some 10 wk old pullets that we’ll be integrating as soon as they’re big enough. My old ladies are just like regular old ladies- they are stuck in their ways so hopefully it goes well. They don’t like change 🤣🤣🤣

10? 14?

Oops... My husband is looking at my 2yr 9 month old hens and saying he wants a pause between these and their replacements so we can travel a little without me saying I don't want to go because there is no one to watch the hens if I am away... He seems to be under the impression they are going to check-out when they hit 3yrs (like an alarm clock going off)

Please, no one tells him, ok? He will eventually see he's been hoodwinked, but by then it will be too late.

My hens are pure pets and live out their lives until age, disease, predators (rarely) or euthanasia ends their lives. My oldest so far was Jolene, a BA, who was humanely sent to the Rainbow Bridge at age 9 when arthritis caught up with her.

Vashti, my 8 y.o. Dominique, was laying sporadically in spring this year until she began an extended molt! My 5 y.o. BA, Celeste, is laying about every other day right now.

Culling and disposing of their bodies?? I don't see how anyone could raise a bird for so long and then simply dispose of them.. their life is worth more than that surely.

Some people can't bear to eat a chicken they knew personally and so they plant them under rosebushes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom