Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
Our two Rhode Island Red roosters do an excellent job protecting our flock of free range egg layers and also save us from rounding up escaped ladies (We simply release the "Parrot" Rooster outside the fence (pictured) and he goes and fetches any escaped hens). They have a very docile nature and have been a very entertaining addition to the farm. The daily 10:30am crow off between this pair and our Golden Laced Polish Rooster and the Turkey Tom always brings a smile (None of these boys can tell time it seems LOL).
126374994_443119023749495_4080959629951915872_o.jpg

I have a certain hatred of Roosters. About a block / still well within hearing range of me, a farmer has about 5 of 6 of the ###%$##@ ers. They go until probably 10 pm..... THEN start up again at about 2 am. When one sets off, ALL of them do... Half tempted to set my 20 watt laser up on a tripod and... oh nevermind...

Aaron

Oh wow! What breeed is he????
He is a variety I've developed that combines Cream Legbar and Leghorn. I think you'd say mostly Leghorn, except he weighs in at about 8-pounds. If you'd like more information, PM me and I'll send you links to the threads about this variety and how it was 'made'.

Thanks for the kind words. :ya

I have a certain hatred of Roosters. About a block / still well within hearing range of me, a farmer has about 5 of 6 of the ###%$##@ ers. They go until probably 10 pm..... THEN start up again at about 2 am. When one sets off, ALL of them do... Half tempted to set my 20 watt laser up on a tripod and... oh nevermind...

Aaron
Neighbors can be really frustrating. Could you get a white-noise machine and thus cancel their racket without resorting to the laser option?

Black Bart my Svart Hona roo is the manager of the flock. He arbitrates disputes and keeps the ladies "happy". A true gentleman, he makes sure the hens get treats before he dives in. Bart has never been aggressive toward people. I broke him in early by picking him up frequently. Now when I come he avoids me! I would never say he is an alarm clock. Occasionally something will get him started at 3:00 AM. Living in the country with no neighbors real close it is not an issue, as long as our windows on that side of house are closed. I do not free range my birds; wish I could but too many predators, especially hawks. I risk enough free ranging my Pekings and Kahki Campbell ducks.

Aaron
Hi Aaron,
Actually there’s no such thing as a rooster. There are cockerels, cocks, capons and roasters. Offer your neighbor to buy an extra roaster for soup. Then roast him, simmer him and eat him (not the neighbor). There will be no need to buy glucosamine-chondroitin for yourself. Just my unpopular opinion 😎

I have a rooster, even though we are in town and not supposed to keep one. He was the biggest cockerel and I hope to keep him long enough to hatch some of his chicks! He is a bit loud sometimes, but my husband seems to be getting used to the sound. Nice to the hens, he seems to like the Naked Neck hen better than his own Barred Holland girls sometimes!

Attachments

• IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    921.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5264.JPG
    IMG_5264.JPG
    901.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom