Official BYC Poll: What Do Your Chickens Live In?

What Do Your Chickens Live In?

• Coop Only

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Coop + Open space / free-range / no fencing

Votes: 50 9.5%
  • Coop + Entire fenced backyard / area

Votes: 75 14.3%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run

Votes: 139 26.5%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run + Access to yard

Votes: 241 46.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 2.9%

• Total voters
Its so hot where I live, the taller coop is cooler than the smaller one. The taller coop keeps the heat on the tarp farther away and is more ventilated. I had to add more shade to the smaller one. Anyway, my older 4 month old chickens roam around my fence yard all day, they only go in at night. I can't let the younger hens out of the smaller coop until they ready to lay eggs. The Roosters try to rape them when I let them out with the main flock. However, sometimes I let them out in the am and bring them back in with scratch feed before I open the door to the other coop.

Attachments

• DSCN0023.JPG
    DSCN0023.JPG
    941.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    913.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    963.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0032.JPG
    DSCN0032.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 18
@Chicklady707 Our True Green Whitings like to show off their straight jump skills over our 5.5 foot tall fence too. I'm thinking of using the netting over the top for awhile until they learn... :)
One of the Buff Orpingtons tried to fly over too but the poor girl crashed into the fence. She is not streamline and lightweight like the other flighty birds. She never tried that again.🤣

Our new Barn/coop is 7' x 16' with a 10' x 20' run. We have been working on a 6' x 60' extension run for the last week. It is attached the the main run. I think all we like is some supports for the overhead wire and to finish tying the wire together. Then we can add the chicken door and let the chickens have at it! After we finished the barn/coop and moved all the chickens over we now use the old coop for a brooder/grow out pen. It has 3 small coops/brooders and a 10' x 20' run and is already at its capacity (chicken math) LOL!

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 21
  • barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 20
When keeping chickens, one of the most important things you need to consider is the kind of home you make for them. A chicken coop, chicken run and nesting boxes are essential for happy, healthy hens. So we would like to know: What Do Your Chickens Live In?

Place your vote above.

View attachment 2374367

By the way, don't forget to enter our Coop Page Contest for a chance to win one of several GREAT prizes!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

@Chicklady707 Our True Green Whitings like to show off their straight jump skills over our 5.5 foot tall fence too. I'm thinking of using the netting over the top for awhile until they learn... :)
At my old property it was the 'thing' for a couple of mine to get on top of the run which was over 8'!
I have a new flock at my new property and I kept hearing how it's unusual for chickens to jump over 4-5 feet so I just thought I had some special ones. Built the new ton 6 foot tall and found after a couple month of being in there about eight of the 11 can easily jump over until I put the netting. And the are the larger breeds

My biggest chicken pen is basically a cainlinck dog kennel with garden fencing around it so the bantams won't get out. In the dog pen there are two wooden dog house, two small plastic dog houses, and cat litter tubes I made into nesting boxes. I have a rabbit hutch that holds some chickens, 2 chickens coop/run, and a metal run thing.

Back
Top Bottom