Official BYC Poll: What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

• PVC Pipe

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Branch(es)

Votes: 154 36.6%
  • Wooden Dowel Rod

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • Processed Wood with Rounded Corners

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood wide edge up

Votes: 210 49.9%
  • 2x4" Construction wood narrow edge up

Votes: 70 16.6%
  • Pre-made Plastic Roost Bars

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 55 13.1%

• Total voters
I use natural "branches" (actually trunks), of variable diameter between 3-5 inches because scrub oak and young pines are a weed on this property that have to be cut anyway while 2x4s would cost money.
I also use guava branches from my land (they are everywhere), the same diameter as yours and the birds seem to really like them! 💚✨

I started with wood Dowling rods from chick age onward - while in the crates as we designed and I built the coop. Then once built I ran across both the OP linked threads on roosting experiments. So I too tested and posted in thread my experience... Seems our flocks prefer the round Dowling rods and on occasion the lip of the poop box or nesting boxes underneath..... Wood dowls are 1 - 1.5" dia.

I have an ‘official roost’ for them that is a tomato stake. Which I know is a little thin but they do have the option of roosting on something thicker but they don’t seem to do that often.

I made 3 choices in my votes.
1. 2x4wide side up, the main roosts inside the coop. Actually they’re motte like 5x1. Did you just ask why? Good! It’s cuz it’s what I had on hand when the budget ran out. 😉
2. A branch. There are 2 I the run. One is Weirdly shaped and sits on the ground. One is propped between the run sides in the corner, well at least until it dislodges and runs from the ground up to the one run fence.
3. PVC in the form of an old pvc lawn chair laid on its side in the run. This one seems to be the favored one for group gatherings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom