Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
I just happen to be outside now. Here's a picture of the batch currently drying in my little trailer. If the sun ever appears again it will dry much quicker. 😔

The next pic is obviously in the coop. I added some pine shavings to the first batch because I wasn't sure if I'd have enough coffee husks by the time the girls arrived, and I'm a bit anal about being prepared. From here on in, I'll just add coffee husks. The grasses strewn about are from ornamentals that we trimmed this spring and used in the nesting boxes. That's all on the girls.

Come fall I'm looking forward to adding leaves since we have tons!
IMG_20210505_125057.jpg
IMG_20210505_125353.jpg

We run nothing but straight PDZ in the floor of our coop. It clumps the poop sort of like kitty litter does, but not quite as well. The good thing is that it makes daily morning cleanup a breeze, and it keeps down any ammonia smell and we have no flies or bugs anywhere near the coop. Our coop is 6 ft by 3 ft, and two bags of PDZ makes about a 2" to 3" covering. It may be a little expensive at that rate, but the two bags will last us about 3 months if the coop floor is cleaned out daily.

Back
Top Bottom