Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Get Your Chicks From?

Where Do You Get Your Chicks From?

• From a hatchery

Votes: 216 55.7%
  • From a breeder

Votes: 106 27.3%
  • From friends & family

Votes: 56 14.4%
  • From my local feed store

Votes: 185 47.7%
  • Hatch them in an incubator

Votes: 151 38.9%
  • Hatch them under a broody hen

Votes: 132 34.0%
  • From BYC's Buy-Sell-Trade Section

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 3.9%

• Total voters
My vote included everything on the list except BYC's buys/sell/trade section.. though I have LOOKED there before.

My vote for "other" is to include.. Craigslist farm and garden section.. where with LOT'S of patience and discernment I have been able to find some VERY high quality and rare breeds.. for exceptional prices.. including Lavender Wyandotte and Ayam Cemani.. AND also including NPIP! :eek:

No one should sell chick or hatching eggs as "breeder" or "show" quality.. as they CANNOT guarantee that. They can only guarantee what they have selected for or against and what they can VERIFY in their "breeding" stock IF they've checked.. Usually seen things like comb sprigs, split wing, shank/feather color etc. If they just have a flock of birds regardless of which breed if they aren't actively selecting to improve on their current stock.. they're JUST hatching and no different or better than ANY hatchery except maybe even not NPIP certified. Just a personal statement for educational purposes and NOT directed at anyone specific. Learn your breed and their standard of perfection.. ASK questions.. any vagueness.. RUN! Folks who are serious chat passionately about their livestock. ;)

FWIW.. true breeding quality is only about 1-3% of ALL chicks hatched from good quality parent stock that DO confirm to standard of perfection without visible faults. As a small timer with limited space and resources.. I end up keeping about 10% of my grow outs. No matter WHERE you get your eggs or chicks from.. SELECTION is required to achieve or maintain "quality"..

I've gotten more deformed birds.. including bent toes and cross beak from breeders than hatcheries.. which (some) get their eggs from contracted flocks.. DID you KNOW that YOU can become a contract hatching egg supplier for the big hatcheries?? Many of which do not keep their own flock and are JUST that.. hatcheries. To me less chance of inbreeding or disease from hatcheries.. who are also priced to sell and reliable verses many over priced and sometimes shady small breeder with fancy websites practices..

If going with a breeder.. check breed club websites and such for contacts and state NPIP lists.

A "breeder".. IMO should not have 15 breeds for sale. As a poultry enthusiast, I get it.. but, that makes them a hatchery.. family owned or not just like Cackle... decent quality, great price, good selection.

What I mention may seem like semantics.. but it is not. I VALUE breeders and acknowledge the MANY challenges faced. I also value hatcheries, and local feed stores who receive those hatchery chicks.. taking the shipping (death/stress) toll to offer viable, warmed up, and ready chicks. verses a family dealing with that all night worry. Also they can more readily order the numbers required to SAFELY ship the chicks.. AND offer them sexed semi-reliably in smaller numbers locally than if they still needed shipping. Pluses and minus to every scenario depending on one's goals and resources..

Marek's vaccinated chicks/birds NOT welcome here to HIDE the disease.. but should be a consideration for everyone WHICH choice is best for THEIR flock, and go with a supplier who offers accordingly.. MOST farm/feed store chicks are NOT vaccinated, unless otherwise stated.. "breeders" are more likely IMO to "F" this up than the hatchery sources. When asked, the array of misinformation they've perceived was startling. A good read IF you need.. with tons of valid information, written and updated often so far, by a fellow BYC'er who understands all to well about experience being the mother of all teachers.. :hmm

Marek's Virus FAQ

In other words.. chicks are good, MUST LOVE CHICKS! :wee

:jumpy:jumpy

My vote included everything on the list except BYC's buys/sell/trade section.. though I have LOOKED there before.

My vote for "other" is to include.. Craigslist farm and garden section.. where with LOT'S of patience and discernment I have been able to find some VERY high quality and rare breeds.. for exceptional prices.. including Lavender Wyandotte and Ayam Cemani.. AND also including NPIP! :eek:

No one should sell chick or hatching eggs as "breeder" or "show" quality.. as they CANNOT guarantee that. They can only guarantee what they have selected for or against and what they can VERIFY in their "breeding" stock IF they've checked.. Usually seen things like comb sprigs, split wing, shank/feather color etc. If they just have a flock of birds regardless of which breed if they aren't actively selecting to improve on their current stock.. they're JUST hatching and no different or better than ANY hatchery except maybe even not NPIP certified. Just a personal statement for educational purposes and NOT directed at anyone specific. Learn your breed and their standard of perfection.. ASK questions.. any vagueness.. RUN! Folks who are serious chat passionately about their livestock. ;)

FWIW.. true breeding quality is only about 1-3% of ALL chicks hatched from good quality parent stock that DO confirm to standard of perfection without visible faults. As a small timer with limited space and resources.. I end up keeping about 10% of my grow outs. No matter WHERE you get your eggs or chicks from.. SELECTION is required to achieve or maintain "quality"..

I've gotten more deformed birds.. including bent toes and cross beak from breeders than hatcheries.. which (some) get their eggs from contracted flocks.. DID you KNOW that YOU can become a contract hatching egg supplier for the big hatcheries?? Many of which do not keep their own flock and are JUST that.. hatcheries. To me less chance of inbreeding or disease from hatcheries.. who are also priced to sell and reliable verses many over priced and sometimes shady small breeder with fancy websites practices..

If going with a breeder.. check breed club websites and such for contacts and state NPIP lists.

A "breeder".. IMO should not have 15 breeds for sale. As a poultry enthusiast, I get it.. but, that makes them a hatchery.. family owned or not just like Cackle... decent quality, great price, good selection.

What I mention may seem like semantics.. but it is not. I VALUE breeders and acknowledge the MANY challenges faced. I also value hatcheries, and local feed stores who receive those hatchery chicks.. taking the shipping (death/stress) toll to offer viable, warmed up, and ready chicks. verses a family dealing with that all night worry. Also they can more readily order the numbers required to SAFELY ship the chicks.. AND offer them sexed semi-reliably in smaller numbers locally than if they still needed shipping. Pluses and minus to every scenario depending on one's goals and resources..

Marek's vaccinated chicks/birds NOT welcome here to HIDE the disease.. but should be a consideration for everyone WHICH choice is best for THEIR flock, and go with a supplier who offers accordingly.. MOST farm/feed store chicks are NOT vaccinated, unless otherwise stated.. "breeders" are more likely IMO to "F" this up than the hatchery sources. When asked, the array of misinformation they've perceived was startling. A good read IF you need.. with tons of valid information, written and updated often so far, by a fellow BYC'er who understands all to well about experience being the mother of all teachers.. :hmm

Marek's Virus FAQ

In other words.. chicks are good, MUST LOVE CHICKS! :wee

:jumpy:jumpy

Great information! I can't imagine having more than one breed, but heritage breeds (ours is Crevecoeur) are a lot of work for us.

We belong to the club, are working on getting our NPIP inspection, and we do vaccinate for Marek's. But we are a small, local farm and don't ship. My original flock was vaccinated, and we are considering hatching eggs only in the future. We are big on bio-security. I have different clothes and shoes for managing my flock and my brooder. The chicks won't meet their parents for another week or so 🤣

The mom and pop feed store has been a great way to find interested chicken keepers. No one else around here has Crèvecœurs, to our knowledge. We are a historical city, so heritage breeds are popular.

I mostly let broody hens raise chicks, but recently got some from a breeder of blue and green eggers.

Since I am doing a flock expansion, a few extra roosters aren't a problem.

Even though my chickens are mutts, I do some selection against defects (e.g. wry tail) or coloration that I don't want.
IMG_20200804_182200.jpg
IMG_20200805_074929.jpg
IMG_20200805_080013.jpg

We have a local feed store about an hour away that we get chicks from. It's given us surprisingly high-quality chickens for a small chain store. We don't have a tractor supply near us, and I've heard mixed opinions about it, so I'm going to stick with our local farm store :D

Raising chickens is fun and exciting & there are so many places to buy birds of all different kinds from. A good place many people start is the BYC Buy - Sell - Trade Forum section. So we would like to find out: Where Do You Get Your Chicks From?

View attachment 2480769

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I use My Pet Chicken and have been very happy with order correctness, chick health, delivery time (next day usually). I do wish they had a larger selection.

Back
Top Bottom