Official BYC Poll: Which of These Black Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

Which of These Black Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

• Ayam Cemani

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Black Australorp

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Black Jersey Giant

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Black Orpington

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Black Silkie

Votes: 42 19.6%
  • Black Sumatra

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Black Maran

Votes: 55 25.7%
  • Croad Langshan

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Black Polish

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Black Cochin

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • Black Sexlink

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters
I dont know if these count but I have 2 BCM’s
They are awesome birds! Dont tell the others but they are my favorites of my little flock.

1414B97D-E716-4D0F-965E-0BF4401FF435.jpeg

I was disappointed by my ayam cemanis; their eggs were on the smaller side and a good week was 3-4 eggs per hen. Great looking birds, though, and the rooster was spectacular.

Silkies were a "never again" breed for me, too. Small eggs and the hens would go broody if the sun shined. Or it was cloudy. Or if it rained. Or if the grass grew. You get it. I got tired of rotating hens through our broody breaker. I gave them to a family with little girls who thought they were the Best. Chickens. Evvah.

Right now I'm on a Rhode Island Red kick. And I'm experimenting with American Bresse.

Most of my Australorps are Blue, but I do hatch what seems to be more than the statistically appropriate amount of blacks, a couple of which I've kept. This young fellow looks promising.

View attachment 3363531

I had a couple Black Langshans, including my glorious Ludwig:

7944648-e8fadaf6e00b3db1f7eedc79c2fdf36a.jpg

And several black crossbreeds of different types, including this delicate beauty:

View attachment 3363536
Ludwig is so stately looking. ❤️

Ludwig is so stately looking. ❤️

He was a good-tempered as he was gorgeous.

I hated having to sell him, but decided to focus on my Blue Australorps. He ended up going to a man who wanted a gorgeous rooster for an ornamental lawn flock and I *think* I saw him while driving through the general area the buyer was from.

There aren't many Black Langshans around and I also saw a white hen who might have been the Light Brahma I sold along with him (his favorite girl).

I have one of these as well! Happy to have some blue eggs! 😍
Do you have a pic of your Prairie Bluebell? I’ve not come across too many straight black ones. Ours was sold in a bin with a bunch of Australorps, she was the only PBE in the bunch.

We have other Easter Eggers in our flock and really enjoy them. Our Aubery (short for Aubergine, lol) is VERY shy, however, she is quite observant and agile. The gears are always turning in that head of hers.

She’s not quite to laying age, but definitely looking forward to seeing the eggs/production in comparison with our other Eggers with Leghorn being in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom