• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
They are a novelty. I want to get a Chineese Grouse to add to the flock but I'd need to keep it in a fully enclosed run because they are not smart enough to "go home" at night. Lol, I found something dumber than a chicken. They are cute little fluffy lawn ornaments that visit the neighbors when they work in their garden and lay eggs for me. I love their happy sounds, their pretty feathers, their excitement when food is brought, Improving their coop is a hobby in itself. This year I got miniature birds. My husband thinks it is a waste because they will not give us "good" eggs.They will be smaller but still good. The only bad thing about the birds is that the other animals in the neighborhood want to eat them. I sure hope I have one this year that is as friendly as the one we named "Pretty Bird" last year. She came when she was called and let us hold and pet her whenever we wanted to. I'm trying to handle the new chicks often so they get used to people like she was.

We originally got them for eggs and because we cannot have indoor pets (my son is very allergic) but now I love them for entertainment! They are so much fun to watch and I love to hear them sing about their eggs. :)

I am 1 of 5 kids (we are no longer kids, lol) in my family. I am the only one who loves animals so much that I knew my life would be devoted to them. I am a veterinarian technician. My dad enjoyed them but my mom---well, I hate to say she hates them but she does not like any animals. She is now living with me and my 3 dogs, 2 cats, an aviary of finches, and my 10 chickens. She does not understand the joy I get from all of my pets and I think she must think I'm crazy when I go outside to hang out with the chickens. I get so much relaxation being with them and watching them peck around in the yard and inter-mingling with the other pets. I usually spend a couple of hours a day with them, especially now that the weather is changing. I spend more time in their part of the yard, doing all my projects, just to get the fresh air and watch all the pets.

Originally we got our chickens just for eggs, but since then they've become more useful than we could have imagined... I make as much if not more money on the PHOTOS we take of our chickens as we do the eggs themselves, and they have provided us with insect control, fertilizer, grass control, and are just plain entertaining to have around.

Considering most of the chicks we purchased this year were specifically for the purpose of taking photos of, I probably should have checked "other" as well, but it didn't occur to me until after I'd already voted.

#1 reason: Memory making for my young children. Nothing is more sealed in my brain from my childhood then the times we had poultry in our lives.... The stories and memories are still very vivid. I want that for my kids. (Time away from iPods is another perk and tied hand in hand I'm sure.)
wink.png

I guess I should have checked other as well, I'm slowly integrating farm life into my SO's world. It started with gardening and chicks last summer, we're getting rabbits soon and he's interested in getting a goat. He really likes it so far.. ha

Back
Top Bottom