Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Incubate/Hatch at Home?

Why Do You Incubate/Hatch at Home?

• I haven't tried it yet!

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • To get the highest quality breeds.

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • To develop new varieties/crosses.

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • To witness the miracle of hatching.

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • To educate and inspire my children.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • To know my chicks from the moment they hatch.

Votes: 59 36.0%
  • For the super rare breeds I can't get from hatcheries.

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • To control all medications, vaccinations, feeds, etc.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • So my broodies can become mothers, and raise the chicks naturally.

Votes: 51 31.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 28 17.1%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Hatching chickens can be a fun and educational experience for the entire family. How cool is it to watch a small egg turn into a tiny life! And of course, when these chicks grow up, your understanding of chickens and their life cycle can be quite rewarding, something you will never forget.

Everyone has their reasons, but we would like to find out: Why Do You Incubate/Hatch at Home?

Place your vote above (top 3 reasons), and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official BYC Poll (12).png

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

I hatch because they beat me into submission...
Astrids first chick.jpg
Barb first day outside with kids.jpg
Kerrie with her chicks.jpg
Veronica on the nest.jpg
family portrait 2.jpg

I like to keep my flock as naturally as I can. I much prefer to let the broodies hatch and have many mixed breed hens in the flock now. The last two times I introduced new breeds into the flock by buying hatching eggs.
It's a nice way to introduce new genetics into my very mixed flock.
I have to do nothing more than manage the broody while she is incubating and she does the rest of the work for me. I don't have to integrate chicks. They are accepted into the flock.
I do not keep my flock for breeding purposes (obviously). I keep them for stress relief, entertainment and the fresh eggs.

Hatching chickens can be a fun and educational experience for the entire family. How cool is it to watch a small egg turn into a tiny life! And of course, when these chicks grow up, your understanding of chickens and their life cycle can be quite rewarding, something you will never forget.

Everyone has their reasons, but we would like to find out: Why Do You Incubate/Hatch at Home?

Place your vote above (top 3 reasons), and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2843398

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I "used" to incubate. Primarily because my wife will not let me cull my herd naturally, or by selling?giving any away, and i am trying to only hatch two specific breeds.
however it is so much simpler for me, and safe for my baby chicks to let a broody hen do the heavy lifting.
I am no longer in a seemingly constant fight to break a broody hen. I no longer have to worry about youngsters being killed by the flock, or the time lost caring for a brooder house. Now all i have to do is let my chickens be chickens and wait for that magical bird that causes my wife to say; "don't you think we may have too many chickens".. I still cannot get rid of the old ladies that i want to rehome. But i think time may be on my side. All i have to do is outlive about 7 hens that range from 3 to 10 years old. lol

I have to vote "I haven't tried it yet" because my cockerel is only 18 weeks old so I didn't have fertile eggs when my broody was broody (though a broody in my in-town flock surprised us with a puffball from an egg she managed to hide even though I was taking her eggs away).

I want to hatch my own to see all the fun mixed colors from my different breeds, but primarily I want the sustainability option of keeping the flock going without having to buy chicks.

I use a combination of broodies and incubator. The incubator is for extra eggs ( some breeds do not brood). I have also developed a breed that is a superior broodie and mama hen. They are also good foragers. Only problem they love to hide their nest in the most unexpected places. Also taming them is difficult. You have to start very early, almost from the time they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom