Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Egg Me On Recipe Contest

THAT CHOCOLATE CAKE

14 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate
3 tbsp cold water
12 eggs, separated
2 cups granulated sugar
3-1/2 sticks sweet butter, very soft, but not melted
1 cup flour

Preheat over to 325 degrees. Butter and sugar a 10" springform pan.
Melt chocolate with the water in the top of a double boiler; cool slightly.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick, pale yellow, and fall in a ribbon from the beaters.
Fold in warm chocolate. Stir in soft butter. Fold in flour and mix thoroughly but gently.

Beat egg whites stiff.
Stir a large spoonful of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites; mix well. Fold this mixture into the rest of the chocolate mixture gently, being careful not to over mix.

Pour batter into springform pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until cake test done in the center.
Cool for 15 minutes and remove outer rim of pan. Cool completely before removing bottom of pan. Store in the refrigerator. Freezes well.

I call this "That Chocolate Cake" because after I took it to work for a potluck, I was always asked, "Are you going to bring that chocolate cake?" whenever we had another potluck.

Entry #1 - entering for fun

Spinach Quiche
cover-image

½ cup butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

DirectionsInstructions Checklist
Step 1
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Step 2
In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.

Step 3
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.

Step 4
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
cropped DSCN4843.jpgcropped DSCN4844.jpgcropped_DSCN4846.jpg

Entry #2 - Entering for fun

Duck Egg in a Hole
cover-image

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ teaspoons of butter or bacon grease

• 1 slice bread

• 1 egg

• 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
  • Melt the butter or bacon grease in a non-stick pan over low heat.
  • Cut a 3-inch hole from the center of the bread slice; lay in the hot skillet. When the side facing down is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes, flip and crack the egg into the hole; season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the egg is cooked and mostly firm. Flip again and cook 1 minute more to assure doneness on both sides. Serve immediately.

DSCN3883.JPG

DSCN3885.JPG

DSCN3887.JPG

Entry #1 - entering for fun

Spinach Quiche
cover-image

½ cup butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

DirectionsInstructions Checklist
Step 1
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Step 2
In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.

Step 3
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.

Step 4
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
cropped DSCN4843.jpgcropped DSCN4844.jpgcropped_DSCN4846.jpg

Spinach quiche is one of my favorites!

THAT CHOCOLATE CAKE

14 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate
3 tbsp cold water
12 eggs, separated
2 cups granulated sugar
3-1/2 sticks sweet butter, very soft, but not melted
1 cup flour

Preheat over to 325 degrees. Butter and sugar a 10" springform pan.
Melt chocolate with the water in the top of a double boiler; cool slightly.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick, pale yellow, and fall in a ribbon from the beaters.
Fold in warm chocolate. Stir in soft butter. Fold in flour and mix thoroughly but gently.

Beat egg whites stiff.
Stir a large spoonful of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites; mix well. Fold this mixture into the rest of the chocolate mixture gently, being careful not to over mix.

Pour batter into springform pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until cake test done in the center.
Cool for 15 minutes and remove outer rim of pan. Cool completely before removing bottom of pan. Store in the refrigerator. Freezes well.

I call this "That Chocolate Cake" because after I took it to work for a potluck, I was always asked, "Are you going to bring that chocolate cake?" whenever we had another potluck.
😯Oohh.. I love chocolate!.. Please, What is a stick of butter? How many grams?.. large eggs size?.. so I might need to double egg amount for Silkie eggs? Self raising or plain flour? ..Thanks!!

😯Oohh.. I love chocolate!.. Please, What is a stick of butter? How many grams?.. large eggs size?.. so I might need to double egg amount for Silkie eggs? Self raising or plain flour? ..Thanks!!

I have a note in my recipe to use extra large eggs. I didn't have chickens at the time and always bought jumbo. Jumbo are too big and overfill my pan. Plain flour. A stick of butter is 114 grams, so 399 grams of butter.

This cake is RIIIICCCCHHHH! I used to cut it in wedges, and people would eat half a piece and throw the rest away!! :mad: So now I cut it into small chunks. It's about as dense as fudge and doesn't need any frosting. It also freezes well. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom