Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Pics
Entry 2.

image000000.jpg

This is Quito, short for Chiquito. He was originally named Chiquita until I heard crowing haha. Quito is also the capital of Ecuador. Quito is half Serama half D´Uccle and is 8 months old.

Quito´s life~
I found 2 eggs in a hidden nest, and 1 was very developed and the other not at all. The undeveloped egg was eaten. The developed egg was hatched under a broody D´Uccle hen. The chick hatched, and now the chick is Quito! The hen immediately decided she did not want to raise chicks, only hatch and sit on them. So I took Quito under my wing (pardon the pun), and everyday I thought please be a pullet Quito. After a few weeks he was a definite cockerel. He lived in a small brooder, but mostly in my pocket and hands. He had a stuffed turkey who he thought was his ma along with me. After a few weeks I got him a sewn chicken to replace the turkey and he screamed his lil´ head off for an hour. So I gave him back the turkey. And a few weeks later he started to attack and mount his turkey, I took it out and he seemed to be delighted the stuffed turkey was gone. He slowly started to become an outdoor cockerel and soon he moved into his own very large dog crate outside. Soon after he moved in with my flock. Than he decided he hated chickens and ran to me screaming and crying. I left him in the run and he adjusted to the chickens. But then he decided he is a duck obviously. And he stayed in the duck´s part of the run and ate and lived with them. He also had his own swing, and would soar all day long. Quito was being trained since he was a chick. He learned to climb trees, peck bells, fly on to your outstretched arm, and he even tried sparkling water a few times.
Sadly, Quito needed to be re~homed because I had too many roosters. It took months to find him a new home but now he lives at an animal rescue with his brothers (who hatched many months after him). I miss him a lot.

He now swings, climb trees, and lives on a farm with alpacas, guineas, turkeys, geese, ducks, chickens, pigs, sheep, and many more animals. He has a few Great Pyrenees watching over all the animals and him.

Entry 3.

IMG_9432.jpg

This is Chippy! Chip hatched May 2013 and she is a Welsummer hen.

A lady was staying in France for a few months, and needed a new home for her only hen. She raised Chip from a chick with another chick named Munk, haha.

Munk died many months ago. And the lady did not get Chippy a new flock friend. I adopted Chippy even though she is 8 years old. She is a very special hen. The lady told me that she layed an egg last April! That is EGG~straordinary.

The original owner purchased her from a feed store that gets de-beaked chucks. Not good thing to do to chickens.
it takes her a bit more work to pick up bits, but she does fine. I can see her tongue when she drinks and she looks like a snake. :)

I'm sure she has a much better life with you now!

Why do they debeak the chickens?

It's usually only done in commercial settings. I believe it's so they have a harder time hurting each other in the small spaces that increase bullying. I'm surprised there was a feed store selling them actually. I've never seen them for sale around here in a retail setting.

Back
Top Bottom