Official Terrier/Toy Dog Club ♥

Quote:
Part of junior showmanship is the condition of the dog. Taking a clipped yorkie into an AKC juniors class is an absolute no-no. You must have the dog in the correct show coat. The dog itself doesn't have to be a "show quality" dog as such, but must be taken in the ring groomed and presented correctly. If your dog has been clipped, it is going to take a year or more to get her back into condition.

Last edited:
One more thing about clipping. It changes the coat permanently. This is why terrier exhibitors never clip their dogs until they are retired from the ring. They hand strip those dogs whose breed standards require it. A yorkie's coat will undergo changes in texture and possibly in color if clipped and the new coat will grow in, but will be of a different type from the dog's original quality. This should not be a factor in the juniors' ring as long as the dog is presented in the correct manner for the breed, but it's something of which you should be aware.

Quote:
idunno.gif
Must have hit a nerve?
idunno.gif

No, it just irritates me that people always say terriers are a toy dog just because some are small. My dog is small yes, but she hunts. Now, I don't think a little poodle will go and hunt. Toys and Terriers are completely differnt.

Last edited:
Quote:
My papillons (the breed is a toy spaniel) have caught birds before. In addition, I had a male papillon, a champion show dog, that was squirrel crazy and would tree the brush bandits, then follow them from tree to tree. So, toys can and do hunt. They're dogs, you know. Nobody tells them they're supposed to be foo-foo dogs.
tongue.png

Quote:
I don't know about 4h junior showmanship but you can show a clipped dog in obedience, rally, agility and in tracking.

Ok, sweet!
Gosh i'm proud of Sassy! She already knows how to sit and lay down!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom