Officially “Fowl Collectors”

teriz1091

Songster
7 Years
Oct 6, 2015
Kansas
I think it’s safe to say my husband & I have crossed into “hoarder” status. We started our chicken adventure with 3 hens about 3 years ago, when we lived in town. We moved out into the country last summer, & added 4 chicks last fall. We lost 2 to predators, so we “replaced” them with 4 more chicks in February. Then my husband went to the feed store for feed, & came home with 2 ducklings shortly after. He now has a job at a Farm store, & a few days ago brought home 4 chicks from a coworker who had bought too many. The next day, he brings home 8 guinea keets & 2 turkeys that were leftover from that day’s chick sale.

13 chickens
2 Pekin ducks
2 turkeys
8 guineas

Anyone have suggestions on the best feed for such a mixed flock? The 4 youngest chicks, guineas & turkeys are currently on turkey starter, which I believe is 22%. The older hens & ducks are on 20% turkey grower, at the recommendation of the feed store.

LOL
From 3 birds to 25 in three years?
That's just chicken math.
I don't think you reach hoarder status till you're spending more on chicken feed then a car payment.
:yuckyuck Too true.

teriz, I feed layer to all my birds; ducks, guineas, quail, and chickens alike. Never had turkeys, but my neighbour fed her BBWs layer as well. Some say it's caused kidney or gout issues but my birds haven't had any problems with dropping dead. :idunno I sell my birds at end of lay, but the one I kept for longer lived to be nine years of age until I gave her back to my neighbour last fall. She might still be alive, I haven't talked with the lady in a while. I feed chicks either all flock, regular chick starter, or 24% gamebird feed. Depends what's on sale. If you can free range them, that's the best supplement possible to their feed, IMO. It keeps them in better condition.

You can feed an all flock feed (I believe Purina makes one) if you're nervous about the layer. I would, but it's significantly more expensive than layer and only comes in crumbles, which has a tendency towards wastage.
With 25 birds it's probably still affordable either way, though.

Thanks! The 9 older hens & 2 ducks are all free ranged every day, they’re only locked up at night. The young chicks, turkeys & guineas will all be free ranged as well once they’re old enough. I’ll go back to just layer after this bag. They really don’t eat much. I honestly think the barn cats & the dog eat more of the chicken feed than the chickens, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom