Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

You all seem to get/sell some real cheap chicks/chickens!
While I agree they won't make any profit or even break even at 5dollars a bird, sometimes people have to charge what the market will bear. It do be like that sometimes. I've had to eat it on birds that cost me a lot before. My husband is a numbers nerd and chews me out if I under charge after all the inputs are done.

'Healthy and beautiful' ???? 🧐

Screenshot_20230322-090329_Chrome.jpg

You all seem to get/sell some real cheap chicks/chickens!
While I agree they won't make any profit or even break even at 5dollars a bird, sometimes people have to charge what the market will bear. It do be like that sometimes. I've had to eat it on birds that cost me a lot before. My husband is a numbers nerd and chews me out if I under charge after all the inputs are done.

I agree it’s more about area and what people want, and what they will pay. I tried several “expensive” breeds, found good eggs, worked hard building nice flocks, but the market around me is cheap. I couldn’t find enough customers who would pay premium for premium birds. Luck of the draw, poor location.
(Not to mention the hurt it puts on my hatching addiction!) lol

I agree it’s more about area and what people want, and what they will pay. I tried several “expensive” breeds, found good eggs, worked hard building nice flocks, but the market around me is cheap. I couldn’t find enough customers who would pay premium for premium birds. Luck of the draw, poor location.
(Not to mention the hurt it puts on my hatching addiction!) lol
I lost most of my flock, and it's been so hard trying to replace them with the prices around me. I dont want to incubate anymore or raise more chicks right now, but paying $100+ pair of silkies or $40+ for one pullet (any breed) is not going to do anything for raising numbers.
Getting by on a max of two eggs a day till the pullets start laying :hmm

Similar situation here. I enjoy it and didn’t really put much thought into the prices I was charging. It was costing me to keep chickens. My wife encouraged me to start keeping track of expenses. I did and I raised my prices for eggs and chicks. I have a slight profit margin now and I’m happy with that.

Back to the thing about them asking to confirm a random number, I looked it up a while back when it happened to me. They do it thru google, which gives them your alternate phone number (if you have a google account) and allows them to set up fake phones, fake email accounts etc. for more trolling activities. I think it’s somewhat harmless, but it’s definitely a scam. Shut up Scammer is a perfect response.
I always look up area codes first. If it’s not a fairly local code, I don’t even reply to them.
The problem with that is phone numbers are so portable now. An area code from across the country could really be just down the street.
Yeah. We were mad one year because our store owner ignored a bunch of complaints about our booth because the phone number area codes were from Wyoming and Idaho. It was from 4th of July, when we have an absolutely major parade. Like I'm not even bragging, it wasn't not of normal at all to have other states visiting then. He just wouldn't even entertain the thought that they belonged to real people and that they weren't fake reviews

I always add on to my advertisement negotiable for price. People still paid the price I asked tho.
I used to have the individual price firm, but often would discount heavily if they got more than 2, often to the point of getting a bird for free if they got 3 or 4. It was more to get the birds moved and free up space and break even than to make money

I used to have the individual price firm, but often would discount heavily if they got more than 2, often to the point of getting a bird for free if they got 3 or 4. It was more to get the birds moved and free up space and break even than to make money
I would definitely throw in a free cockerel or 2!

Back
Top Bottom