Oh crap, what have I done ...

Here's coop - will arrive in two weeks and will build. Have a large brooder set up that will do for first 4-5 weeks, then will move to a pen in our heated garage and stay until it's warm enough for them to be in coop. Husband will add on to the back side (there's a small chicken door) an 8x8x4 run. Can do a bigger run.

I did add the "winterize" package to the coop set up - plexiglass panels that go on the screen parts of the coop - top part is open for ventilation.

It is "cute" but WAY to small. Can you cancel the order?

I see the 2 coops they sell that say they hold up to 10 chickens. It’s a lie. One says it is 54sqft. That measurement includes nests. One says 30-40sqft. That one includes nests and run.
Chickens need 4sqft per bird walking around area. That means not including nest area, not including run area, and nothing on that floor. For 12 birds that’s 48 sqft not including nests and run. Roost perch needs to be higher than the nest area so birds don’t poop in the nests. You don’t want poopie eggs. One nest per 4-5 birds gives you 3 nests. Each bird need one foot of roost so 12 birds means 12 feet of roost. Roosts also need to be one foot away from walls and other roosts. Vents need to be well above birds heads when they are standing on the roost.
Now the run. 10sqft per bird. That’s 120sqft for 12 birds.
These are minimum measurements. More is better. AND you seriously need to understand chicken math. You are going to be adding more chickens so you need to make this bigger for those. Yes, you will get more birds. It’s not if, it’s when. You already showed that predisposition starting off with 12 birds!
It all sounds overwhelming but you aregonna have sooo much fun!
Welcome!!

Oh dear.
I think I got a bad case of chicken fever and have gone slightly insane.
I'll be a first time chicken-owner soon and bought a decent sized coop (says will hold up to 10 standard birds) and when I called the coop place (Root and Roost) they said it is substantial and could really fit 12 - there are four nest boxes and we are building an add on for a bit more inside room. So guess what? I ordered 11. Well now I see that I get a free chick with my order, so that makes 12 birds: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Black/Blue Splash Orpington, Lavender Orpington, Jersey Giant, Barnevelder, Cream Legbar, Austra White, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, Barred Rock and one unknown breed.

Should I call and take some off my order? Is this too big of a flock for someone just starting out?

This is a perfect size! (You could get more, however.)

I started out with 14 babies, and they were perfectly manageable! (Except when I brought them all out together!) Also this is my current and first ever flock....

3 ended up dying, one as a chick, one just before lay, and one long after lay. It’s good to have plenty, just in case!

At the moment I have 11 chickens, and they are so much fun!

I hope you enjoy the chicks!

Already in building process ... ships next week. Would building a bigger run for them help? Otherwise will have to take some chicks off the order ...

No it won't help. In your climate they will CHOOSE to stay inside when the weather is bad. If inside is not protected....and that coop is NOT protected they are still exposed to the weather.
That coop has a little over 3 feet of roost space. That is 1/3rd of your bare minimum need.

That coop can hold 3 birds. Just 3. Even then it is severely lacking in weather protection for your climate.

Just saw the picture of the coop. Floor space there is 1/3 of those 54sqft. The other 2/3 is all nests. You only have 18sqft which is enough for 4 birds. Run is enough for 5.
Why these measurements needed? So birds don’t fight and possibly kill each other.

Just saw the picture of the coop. Floor space there is 1/3 of those 54sqft. The other 2/3 is all nests. You only have 18sqft which is enough for 4 birds. Run is enough for 5.
Why these measurements needed? So birds don’t fight and possibly kill each other.

Are you seeing what I am seeing ..... There is no ladder to get to that one roost or ledge in front of the nests is there? I don't see a floor under the sleeping area either........
My old eyes may be missing something in this design....

Already in building process ... ships next week. Would building a bigger run for them help? Otherwise will have to take some chicks off the order ...
You'll have to take a lot off of the order. At most, like others have said, I would only keep 5 hens in there. I wouldnt even keep my 7 in there. I would try to cancel. We build our run for under $200. Our coop was a free. We got an old outdoor playhouse for free and converted it. For the size you would need for 12 chickens I would try and build.

Back
Top Bottom