Oh dear- intestinal worms

Yeah, those aren't what the worms in Aspen's poop looked like. I recognized them from a website often linked to on BYC showing normal and abnormal poops for chickens. Aspen and Quinn are both 6 pounds I think... I'll have to weigh them. Thanks! I'll go to the feed store to see if they have any Valbazen
big_smile.png
I don't see any other worm-infested poops from any of the chickens, but I'm gonna deworm them anyways

The liquid I got isn't Wazine... it's called Kilverm and it kills Large Roundworms, Caecal Worm, and Hairworm, which are according to the label "the most important intestinal worms in fowls, turkleys and other birds".

The worms in the poop look nothing like maggots, thery were skinny white things like small pieces of cotton thread.... no more than 7mm long at a guess. They were waving about like blind little snakes. To me they looked like roundworms, but small ones.

I've been googling trying to find a picture of what I saw but can't, so I'm going to follow one of the girls around and try and get a pic of it myself. Wish me luck! :)

Quote:
Oh Nonny, sorry about that. Dawg53 pointed out your location (Australia). I assumed some store clerk here in the states pawned Wazine off on you as an effective solution. Yes indeed, it sounds like roundworm in the poop. I'm thinking Kilverm probably gets tapeworms too (if you have tapeworms there). The reason I think so is because Valbazen gets cecal worms whereas some of our other treatments do not. So you've got a decent broad spectrum there. Cheers over there Down Under!!!

BTW, I figured out my hens had tapes awhile back because 2-3 of the ladies got closed up in the garage. One left her calling card on the bench of my husband's weight set (it's black and I wondered what all these little white speckles were).
ep.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh Nonny, sorry about that. Dawg53 pointed out your location (Australia). I assumed some store clerk here in the states pawned Wazine off on you as an effective solution. Yes indeed, it sounds like roundworm in the poop. I'm thinking Kilverm probably gets tapeworms too (if you have tapeworms there). The reason I think so is because Valbazen gets cecal worms whereas some of our other treatments do not. So you've got a decent broad spectrum there. Cheers over there Down Under!!!

BTW, I figured out my hens had tapes awhile back because 2-3 of the ladies got closed up in the garage. One left her calling card on the bench of my husband's weight set (it's black and I wondered what all these little white speckles were).
ep.gif

Well, I'll just go the feed store and ask if they have any type of cure for chicken's intestinal worms. I've never seen something like that there because it's a tiny store, but there's also a bigger feed store about 30 minutes away that would have it

Quote:
Oh no... do you know where I can get chicken worming treatment? I don't recall ever seeing it at a feed store... And I hope I don't have to go to the vet- Aspen just to off antibiotics for a kidney infection...

No need to go to the vet. Go to your feed store and see if they have Valbazen. Dose them orally 1/2 cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for bantams. Repeat in 10 days.

You can also use Eprinex pour on. Same dosage as above but apply to the skin between the wings. It will be absorbed through the skin and will also take care of mites on the birds.

using the valbazen do you throw away eggs for a while or are they safe? and what about ivermectin for horses I have Oral ivermectin same dosage by mouth..??? I recently bought 4 EEs and they were rail skinny and they have dull feathers eat like little piggies but still no weight. 3 are young roos and 1 young female so i dont worry about holding off eggs or anything with them.. actually its he generic.. the brandname is Eqvalan.. it says specifically not to give to dogs may cause fatality? doesn't mention any other animal that's why I wonder about chickens.. but I have heard a lot of people uses horse cattle and goat and hog wormer's just fine. i haven't seen any parasites in their waste but I think they must be wormy due to the lack of weight gain, high appetite and dull feathers..

help is appreciated

oh I do agree the poster with the pics.. tape worm segments.. yucky nasty little buggers.. when you see the segments you know there's a big'en in there somewhere..

)O(
Pink

Quote:
Try and get valbazen. It's a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and it kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. It can also be ordered from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Dosage is given orally, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom