Oh, DEAR.

Me thinks you need to post pix of those lil peeps!!!! I am so glad you didnt say you live in southern VA lol I have my hands full but I wouldnt of been able to turn them down lol

pics posted...I think we posted at the same time. They certainly aren't adorable right now.
sad.png

Yes, they need a bath - they need fluffy feathers to help keep warm.

In the sink, you can bathe them with Dawn Dish liquid. Use the hair dryer on low to dry them, make sure they do not get to hot - even on low it can burn.

Thank you and your DH for taking them in.

OMG those poor poor peepers, I would love to get a hold of the people that had them! I am SO glad that they dumped them at TSC instead of letting them just waste away and die because they wouldnt of been far from it. UGH UGH UGH

We never had to bathe our own baby birds, as their little home was kept super clean by us...so, dawn and warm water? Just, um, rinse them? One by one, and then dry with a low setting dryer? Could we use a bucket with warm water (we don't have a utility sink, and I don't think I can stomach putting them in my kitchen sink)? Off to look up thread about bathing peeps, thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Yup, dawn and warm, warm water (not hot but nice an warm - you do not want to chill them). Rinse them also - so you can do two buckets - it might take a bit of soaking to get the gunk loose. Move the dryer slowly back and forth over the chick so it is not too hot.

Their conditin is
sickbyc.gif
and I am sure they feel horrible. Poor things.

Tree Hugger- I have no clue! They look a little like our red star did as a baby, but it's hard to tell with all that gobblety gook on them. :O( I don't even know how a person could let animals get that nasty and not do something. Seriously, they literally were sitting in a box with *moldy* bread. It kind of surprises me that they bothered to drop them off at the TSC at ALL.

At any rate, they're light colored...yellow-y. Not much like our reds were, anyway. I'm not really a chicken expert yet, though if we keep finding boxes of them, I might become on faster than I expected!
tongue.png

Edit to add: thanks for the pointers on bathing them! As soon as my husband gets home, we'll put the small people in bed and start the chick washing fiesta.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It's just SO much easier to use the sink, IMO, especially for the "rinse cycle"

I have bathed every type of creature that I own, including a poopy muddy sick chicken. You just get over the ick factor when you're trying to save them.
hu.gif

I keep a small bottle of bleach on hand for *serious* clean-ups, such as this. I'm all for natural cleaning, but bleach is occasionally a necessity.

Back
Top Bottom