Oh Hedgie.

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Unfortunately, Hedgie the hedgehog isn't doing great. She seems to be 'wobbling' and falling over. At first, we thought possibly her cage was too cold, but after warming it up, she still hadn't changed. She also doesn't seem to be using her back legs that much.

We took her to the vet, hoping it was something treatable, but after about 7 hours of tests, everything looked normal - the only thing we can think of is WHS - Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. The vet thinks so too. It's a degenerative neurological disorder - approximately 1 in 10 hedgehogs get it. They slowly become paralyzed, until they are completely paralyzed and eventually pass on. There is no cure.

So, prayers for Hedgie, our sweet, pretty girl.

(Hedgie and Nutmeg, my silkie, when they were both young)
1645904251477.png

Oh Lemon, I'm so sorry. :hugs Sending love to you and your sweet Hedgie. I'm so sorry there isn't anything you can do. I read somewhere the Vitamin E may help slow the process of the disease? Not sure if the source was reliable or not, but maybe worth a shot? What about CBD oil if he starts to get uncomfortable. You can buy tinctures for small animals, and it helps with pain and anxiety. You don't have to try either of these if you don't want too, I'm a researcher. :p
Sending hugs for your both. :hugs

Oh Lemon, I'm so sorry. :hugs Sending love to you and your sweet Hedgie. I'm so sorry there isn't anything you can do. I read somewhere the Vitamin E may help slow the process of the disease? Not sure if the source was reliable or not, but maybe worth a shot? What about CBD oil if he starts to get uncomfortable. You can buy tinctures for small animals, and it helps with pain and anxiety. You don't have to try either of these if you don't want too, I'm a researcher. :p
Sending hugs for your both. :hugs
Thanks! I've read about the vitamin E as well. We're going to give her liquid food, and maybe that has a higher vitamin e content? I don't really know, but thanks so much!

Thanks! I've read about the vitamin E as well. We're going to give her liquid food, and maybe that has a higher vitamin e content? I don't really know, but thanks so much!
What about natural sources? I know that natural vitamins are usually much easier to absorb (for dogs) than synthetic. Heres an article that gives some ideas- https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-e/
Maybe wheatgerm oil? I read that hedgehogs can have that. I would probably avoid the peanuts/peanut butter because peanuts actually contain an aflatoxin that is related to cancer in dogs. Not sure if its the same for hedgehogs, but I might avoid it? :confused:
Also the soybean, safflower, and sunflower oil since they're low quality. Especially soybean.

What about natural sources? I know that natural vitamins are usually much easier to absorb (for dogs) than synthetic. Heres an article that gives some ideas- https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-e/
Maybe wheatgerm oil? I read that hedgehogs can have that. I would probably avoid the peanuts/peanut butter because peanuts actually contain an aflatoxin that is related to cancer in dogs. Not sure if its the same for hedgehogs, but I might avoid it? :confused:
Also the soybean, safflower, and sunflower oil since they're low quality. Especially soybean.
Definitely avoid peanuts, my sister is allergic.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom