Oh, Lordy! Ice storm coming!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, Jan 25, 2009.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    We are predicted to have another ice storm starting tomorrow and getting worse Tuesday. They are afraid the electricity will go off, if enough ice forms on the lines so that they come down. We have filled 5 gal. buckets so I will have water for my chickens, and to flush the toilet. Our well pump doesn't pump water if there is no electricity. I have 3 brooders in the garage, with lights in them for heat. I am scared to death for my 6 little Serama babies. They will be one month old tomorrow, and are the youngest. Our wood furnace in the garage keeps it about 60, and the 2 brooders of silkies are probably old enough they could make it at 60 degrees, if they had to, but I don't know about the Seramas. And, an ice storm always takes down the netting over my outside pens. Sure hope I don't have to replace that all again, but have to have it, as we have a great supple of "endangered" hawks. Keep your fingers crossed for us that the ice storm won't be bad enough that we lose electricity. Hope the weather is going better where you all are.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish we could get a little of that moisture.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    ACK! I hope we dont get that ice storm like we had a couple of years ago!

4. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Mahonri, I hope you get moisture if you need it, but I wouldn't wish an ice storm on anyone.
    Ewesheep,are you supposed to be in this cold/ice belt that is going through? Sure hope you don't get it. (hope we don't,either. LOL)

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Don't tell me that. I was just saying while cleaning stalls how I hoped it would start to get warm soon. Warm being 10-20F [​IMG] and no more of this subzero stuff with ice and snow.

It looks like for now this far north we are just predicted to get more snow and more below 0 windchill readings.

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Judy, I'm in your boat. I'm in southern Indiana and were supposed to get it too. Luckily city water is only 1/4 mile up the road at my grandma's but I hadn't thought about all my netting coming down. Oh dread!!

7. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    Regarding water, don't forget ice melts. This may sound silly but a lot of people forget they can shovel enough ice/snow into a five gallon bucket and bring it inside to melt. Again, I know it sounds like a big duh, but just in case.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    We are suppose to be getting the ice to im in northern arkansas and we r suppose to the worst of the ice. I have eggs in the bator now that are hatching. were praying we don't get it. Good luck everyone.

9. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    im in KY and i hear that were in the line of fire too i have atleast 8 eggs in the bator 18 chickens in the coop that are already mad at me and ive got 2 dozen eggs being shipped out to me tomorrow... hope everything makes it! good luck everyone time to bunker down with our feather babies

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Im so ready for spring. We've had I think 5 ice storms now, I dont want any more. I'll have to look to see if we are to get any ice.......best of luck to ya.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by