Oh no! Day-old chickie losing yolk sac?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by titus2mommy, Jun 9, 2010.

1. titus2mommy

titus2mommy In the Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    That's what it looks like, anyway. When he hatched yesterday, his yolk sac was pulled in, and he had a nice round belly. But this morning he has this "thing" hanging out, and it like just like the yolk sac coming back out. [​IMG] He's not gonna make it, is he? [​IMG]

2. i have a problem similar to this but it never absorbed all the yolk in the first place. the hen crushed the hatching egg so it hatched a day early i think. it survived the night and i put iodine on it. ther is some yellow wticking out of its belly.

3. bturbo87

bturbo87 Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    south
  4. titus2mommy

titus2mommy In the Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks. It's good to know sometimes they're ok in spite of those issues. With ours, it was the size of the first two digits of my pinky finger in length and thickness and still pretty yellow. The next day he looked much worse and very thin, never did really dry out and fluff up and that night I had to cull him. Poor thing.

5. 2 have died today ebcause of this i am trying to save a 3rd that hatched with its cord out. the problem is the egg yolk stuck to the membrane and when it hatched it pulls everything out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by