Oh, no, he didn't.

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
Yes, he did.

My husband has this ginormous fern. Seriously, it is his. He picked it out for his birthday a couple of years ago, we paid a ton of money for it and the giant pot it had to go in, and put it in a corner of our living room. Here's a pic to give you an idea--bear in mind that these are 12-ft. ceilings (and we do own some furniture, but I had moved it and was taking pics to try and decide where to place things).

1056135851_aa6dcf2c98.jpg

So anyway, a while back, he stopped watering his fern. I would ask him about it every now and again, and he'd say, "I'll do it in a little while," and then forget. So it started dying off. But dang it, it's not MY ginormous fern, and we had a million other tiny, similar battles going on regarding household chores, and I engaged him in a not-watering-the-ginormous-fern standoff. It went on for a while.

Today, he cleaned up in that room, and moved furniture and swept and mopped, including cleaning up the giant pile of dead fern leaves back in that corner. Just a few minutes ago, I asked, "Did you water that fern?"

"Yes," he answered.

I was shocked. "Did you REALLY?"

And then he said it.

"Yes, I brought the hose in from outside, and watered it for about 15 minutes."

ep.gif

"Honey, in the future? Don't bring the garden hose into the living room, OK? Thanks."

Last edited:
OMG!!!! That sounds so much like what would happen here if I had a standoff about anything. Thte last time I got my DH to clean his cat's litter box was about a year ago. So then he cleaned and was using my dish scrubber to clean the inside of the box! It took my two and a half years to get him to clean that box and then he does it that way lol .Needless to say I haven't asked him to do it again. Stupid me trying to prove a point.
barnie.gif

It's a laminate (fake wood) floor, and there's a pot within that giant planter. So he may drown the plant, but he can't hurt the floor.
big_smile.png

OMG that sounds like conversations I've had. It also reminds me of the time when I was a kid and my 10yo or so brother locked himself in the bathroom. Being the wise, older, latchkey kid, I brought in the garden hose and ran water under the door until he opened it.

I only recently admitted this to my mother, some 20 years later. She was very relieved that a) the bathroom was OK b) we had cleaned it all up and c) she didn't find out at the time.

DBF and I just had a fight last night about who does which chores in our house. Apparently when the list got split 50/50, he thought that meant I took both halves of the list. And clearly he didn't get the message because tonight while I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner, he didn't offer to help.

If you hear of a woman in Tacoma, WA who strangles her BF in his sleep, pray for me, OK?

Quote:
Will do. I will also gather donations for your prison commissary account.
lol.png

We really go 'round and 'round about it here, albeit usually passive-aggressively (see above story), and from what I can tell, it's a really common problem. No matter how much women work outside the home, and exceptions to the rule aside, it's still we gals who are handling the lion's share of the household chores. Somehow weekly chores like weedeating and garbage-hauling are supposed to make things "even," I think. Grrrrr. It's extra-frustrating to me, because my husband is really GOOD at things like cleaning and cooking!

I get off work two hours earlier than he does, so that I can pick up our daughter from school. To him, that translates into "two hours that I could use preparing a wonderful dinner and getting all the housework caught up." But realistically, by the time I wait in line at the school, pick up my girl, and bring her home, I'm beating him to the house by about 38 minutes--IF there are no errands to be run. *siiiiiigh*

I shouldn't complain too much, though, because he's on a hot streak of getting stuff done right now. Let's hope that continues.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom