Oh No!!!!! Wolf Rat on the loose!

Pics

MatthewsHomestead

Free Ranging
Feb 21, 2018
NC Foothills
So.... We saw our first wolf rat in the fall. Shot it. Thought yay, we nipped this in the bud. Until we saw two more about a month ago. Trapped two with those big rat traps. Thought yay again. Tonight I go to our basement to do my night time check on our new babies (7ducklings and 10chicks) . ..... Another one. In our house! Near my babies! How the heck do we get rid of them once and for all????

To the OP, you have a serious problem. If you are looking for a serious solution, go to this thread.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/

Spend the time to go through the whole thing, including the CDC / Army videos. Do that so you know what you are up against.

A lot of folks report on BYC that none of this works. I would submit that a lot of folks who believe that have not taken the steps required to solve the problem. No half measures, half hearted attempts. You must do it all.

1. Rat proof the structure.....ALL traffic in and out has to stop. Easier said than done. DO watch the video on that so you know the extent you have to resort to and how. Its old, but still very much valid.
2. Eliminate all sources of food, water and places to live and hide.
3. If that does not move them on and out, then poison baits are used to snuff the colony. Poison baits alone will not be effective until steps 1 and 2 have been implemented. If that didn't cause an "aha moment" then read that again.
4. Single kill methods or nibbling around the edges is futile. No amount of trapping, shooting, dogs, cats, ferrets, snakes or any other method that attempts to pick off a few of them is going to work. Won't even dent the surface. Then can reproduce in far greater numbers than you can eliminate one or two at a time.

Hope this helps!!

Actually, my 80 year old grandpa is who grew up calling them wolf rats. Thank you very much.
To everyone who had USEFUL information, Thank You! We are implementing as much as we can!
Rats, no matter what kind they are, ARE scary when their in your home or ripping apart your baby chickens. And yes I know it was the rat who did it because we keep deer cams on all our coops to keep an eye on predators such as snakes and rats. They are NOT pets. They are pests. They carry diseases. And in our parts they are significantly large. The smallest one we have killed so far was about 10" in body length, not including tail.
Upside, talked my hunny into a temporary block on the garage door. He's working on it now.
Again, thank you for all the ideas and info we hadn't thought about!

Back
Top Bottom