Oh what should I do? (has nothing to do w/ chickens)

poppycat

Songster
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
My oldest son just got back from an 4 day 3 night school trip that was supposed to be lots of fun AND educational for the kids. He's in sixth grade.

It turns out, one of the parent chaperones assigned to his group of boys was pretty gruff with some of the kids, but downright nasty to my son in particular. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed. I was hoping he'd have a great, positive experience on a once-in-a-lifetime event.

My question is, should I address the matter with the school principal, or just handle it myself? I'm especially curious what those of you who work in education think, I'm not sure what the protocol is.

BTW I have verified the story with a couple other parents and kids, so I'm pretty sure it's not exaggerated.

Thanks in advance. There are some lovely people on this board and I really value your input.

I'd talk with the principal.....I think he should know what happened as far as future trips.... Also, if the chaperone takes your comments the wrong way it could mean trouble for you. If you go through the principal, it will take it off of you.
Good luck
Tink

I agree that you should go to the principal.
You don't want to start a rivalry with another parent.
Give the administration a chance to take care of it and let them know that you will be expecting an update once they talk with the other parent.

I myself would definately channel this through the principal and maybe higher on the severity of the situation. This is something that they need to be aware of.

Are the other parents willing to go with you, or talk to the principal over the phone?
Is the teacher aware of any of this?

The principal needs to know about this so that other children won't be affected in the future.

Sorry that this happened.
sad.png

I would absolutely go to the principal as well.
That is sad that it had to happen to you and your boy at all.
Hope everything turns out well.

Go directly to the principal and let him/her know how upset you are. I know if someone was to be rude to one of my children....... BIG TROUBLE, as with any other mother I'm sure. Best of luck with this, and I'll give you some advice that I wish I would take more often, keep your cool and try to express yourself in a calm, controlled manner. Good luck
big_smile.png

Thank you all. The principal will hear about this. I would be a little surprised if he hasn't already. I'm usually able to keep my cool when there's a conflict. Fortunately my son wasn't all that upset over the whole thing. He has just written this guy off as an backsidehole, and not taken any of it to heart.

My son had a similar problem with a teacher a few years ago. She had personal problems and decided my son was her target at school. I talked to the principal and he took care of it and made sure my son wasn't her target anymore and found out the teacher wasn't going to come back the next year. I would let the princial handle everything. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom