Ohhhh the ants~ I want them dead and gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've got a lot of ants too...I think I will be trying the baking soda/sticky sweet stuff trick. I'll let you guys know how it works!

I love Orange Guard! It smells wonderful, it's naturally safe for everyone including animals, but if it doesn't kill all bugs, it does seem to deter them. I purchased online, but you should be able to find it in farm supply or hardware store, Home Depot, etc. Good luck!

I live in Georgia where the fire ants are out of control. I just spent an hour spraying DE wherever the mounds are, I swear I could be out there all day and still find more.
he.gif
We'll see if it works.

Anyone tried guinneas or turkeys fenced in around the mound? My chickens love carpenter ants, watched one yesterday, jumped up from her shady spot, ran 20 ' across the yard to nail one.

Or maybe my ants are just sweeter than yours
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Update~ You know where I sprinkled the grits along the top of the hill! Well I went up to check it out this morning and I must say I don't see nearly as many and it actually looks like they have moved out?? So I'm wondering if it ended up killing the queen afterall?? So my theory is if I get a big bag of grits and use a spreader and disperse it through the yard overnight~ let it sit out and have them collect and take it to their nests. Give it a good water after a day or two! I know I have heard of people doing this~ maybe I just have to learn a little patience LOL! I'll do some more tests with this and see how it works. Where are you located at?? Also this heat is not helping cause the ants are just loving these warm temps...

Quote:
OK I'm going to try this to! This is great cause we all get to share what works and what doesn't!! Thanks

Quote:
Sorry about the ants....
hit.gif
it is so horrible to have them in your yard. They attack without cause and reason I can not stand them. And they hide so you can't even see where they are here in SC they have the faintest little trails so you wouldn't even know it if you were standing in them, atleast not until they bite! Ugghh wish there was an easier way to control them~ I'm curious to see how the DE works out for you. I discovered this morning the grits may have destroyed the whole colony in the back of my yard~ I don't see them up there~ there are a few but not like the big ole army that was up there a few days ago! So the queen may have died afterall
celebrate.gif
Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you!

I was invaded with ants in my house. They where living in my walls and attic. The house was empty for over a year before we bought it. It was awful. If the kids dropped anything on the counter or floor it would be covered with tiny ants with in mins. I talked to a local bug guy and he told me to try Terro Liquid Ant Baits. I bought it at a local home improvement store. It is nothing more complicated than corn syrup and borax. The ants can’t handle the borax and die. With in 1 week all the ants where gone. They where falling from the light fixtures in little piles of dead ants. I put my vaccume to work. As for outside I put my chicken tractor over a hill the chickens take care of them. Empty ant hill also seem to make good dusting areas.

Last edited:
I found a large ant colony last year under one of the water dishes I used. I mixed a salt and water solution, using about 1/2 box of salt and a gallon of water, and poured it onto the colony. They never came back. I still have ants though. They will always be there.

Back
Top Bottom