Ohio Chicken Laws

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Hi,

I was going to pick up some chicks from a hatchery in Ohio, but they said it was against Ohio law to sell quantities of fewer than six, one day old chicks. Does anyone know if this is true, and what the basis of this law would be?

I do know that it is illegal for the feed stores to sell less than six chicks, and that is to keep people from buying "pet" chickens at Easter time.

Actually it was the Ridgway Hatchery, I figured that it was probably to prevent pet Easter chicks. The folks at Ridgway seem nice and honest enough, so I suppose that there is some truth to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're addictive, you'll end up with 100 anyways!!!
lol.png

Six is a good number anyway. I thought with six pullets I would have eggs to give to everybody, but it turns out I am using almost all of them.

Mt healthy hatchery told me the same thing that minimum order was six. I only wanted four but my Husband said that six is a good number and it was no problem.

Hi everyone,
I've had chickens for a over a year now and all of my family thinks it really cool. My sister in Beavercreek Ohio is interested in getting into chickens for the pet/egg factors. I see from your posts that you can't purchase less than six, so does that mean it is legal to have them? I've been trying to look up the bylaws there but am getting nowhere. Can any of you help?

Back
Top Bottom