OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Really! That's so exciting! How many in your flock? What breeds do you have? How long have you had chickens?

I have 11 right now with 6 more coming in May. 8 are unsexed but three look to be roos so far. They are a month old.
I'm in East Canton! Hello!!

I have 14 ISA Browns, I'd like to get a rooster, but I only want one (to protect my girls) but not sure where I can get just one rooster

Last edited:
I'm in East Canton! Hello!!

I have 14 ISA Browns, I'd like to get a rooster, but I only want one (to protect my girls) but not sure where I can get just one rooster
I drive through East Canton quite a bit on the way to my Mom's. I've seen Roosters on Craigslist several times. I have some four week old roos right now but they are bantams. Lots of people live in areas where roosters are illegal and rehome them for free.

Right now I have two four week old standard chicks a Partridge cochin and Egyptian Fayoumi that I got from the mystery bin. I'm getting six chicks in May, another Partridge Cochin, two speckled sussix, a blue andalusian and two silver spangled apenzeller spitzhabens. I didn't want anyone that reminded me of my girls who were rocket mixes and a solid black. My coop is big but I had to build a covered run and it is small so my space is limited. I also loved my banties and have 8 straight run and want more later.

I drive through East Canton quite a bit on the way to my Mom's. I've seen Roosters on Craigslist several times. I have some four week old roos right now but they are bantams. Lots of people live in areas where roosters are illegal and rehome them for free.

Right now I have two four week old standard chicks a Partridge cochin and Egyptian Fayoumi that I got from the mystery bin. I'm getting six chicks in May, another Partridge Cochin, two speckled sussix, a blue andalusian and two silver spangled apenzeller spitzhabens. I didn't want anyone that reminded me of my girls who were rocket mixes and a solid black. My coop is big but I had to build a covered run and it is small so my space is limited. I also loved my banties and have 8 straight run and want more later.
This is my first year raising chickens, we havent built our coop yet, but we will be soon. I'm just worried about how big it actually needs to be. I mean we have the space, but for 14 whats a good size? I know rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per chicken and 10 sq ft for the run, but what is a good measurement for the actual size of a coop? Like a 12' x 10' space for a coop? I know the bigger the better regardless, but we dont have a ton of funds to spend on building or buying, We have a lot of lumber already so we were going to try to build off that.

@arouechYes bigger is better. Chicken math is real! :p I was lucky enough to have a coop on the property I moved into. I do think a prebuilt shed is a good starting point. You can often find them for sale on Craig's list or last years model from a store that wants to get rid of them.

I never wanted a rooster and ended up with 2. I even tried giving one away but he's still here. They can be a great addition to the flock but they are not perfect protectors. You still need to protect the girls and sometimes that includes from the rooster. ;)

You can find them for free. Just be careful with bio security. If you can quarantine a new bird you should be fine. If not boys are usually sold for half the price of a pullet.

Have fun with your flock!

@arouechYes bigger is better. Chicken math is real! :p I was lucky enough to have a coop on the property I moved into. I do think a prebuilt shed is a good starting point. You can often find them for sale on Craig's list or last years model from a store that wants to get rid of them.

I never wanted a rooster and ended up with 2. I even tried giving one away but he's still here. They can be a great addition to the flock but they are not perfect protectors. You still need to protect the girls and sometimes that includes from the rooster. ;)

You can find them for free. Just be careful with bio security. If you can quarantine a new bird you should be fine. If not boys are usually sold for half the price of a pullet.

Have fun with your flock!

My coop was on the property too. It's a concrete brick building the last owner didn't recognize as a coop so I had a lot to do. The coop is much older than me. It's maybe 12x 20. The run we built is 40 square foot but we are enlarging it this year.

Right now the chicken math stands at 11 with two bantam Roos to get rid of possibly 3 more? I didn't mean to pick out standard size girls from the bin but there you go. So for sure with the six standard pullets coming that makes 9 big girls. One of those might be a miss labeled bantam. One will be 4lbs and 2 more max out at 5 lbs. So figuring out space issues is tricky. Right now out of my 8 straight run bantams there are three I'm not sure of sex wise. This is making my head hurt. I'll try for a group shot later today.

Really! That's so exciting! How many in your flock? What breeds do you have? How long have you had chickens?

I have 11 right now with 6 more coming in May. 8 are unsexed but three look to be roos so far. They are a month old.

Have chickens since April 2014, I got 25++ chickens, 21 are active layers and have a doz in the brooder that's moving with the big ones, but we had a car accident over a week ago that prevented me to build a temporary partition in the run, waiting for surgery on my hand. I got 15 different breeds some very high quality, some from hatcheries for eggs.

Have chickens since April 2014, I got 25++ chickens, 21 are active layers and have a doz in the brooder that's moving with the big ones, but we had a car accident over a week ago that prevented me to build a temporary partition in the run, waiting for surgery on my hand. I got 15 different breeds some very high quality, some from hatcheries for eggs.

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I've had carpel tunnel surgery on both my hands and recovery is a difficult process. I hope nothing permanent was damaged.

Maybe you can post a pictures of your flock sometime. Let me know if you are in the market for a Mottled Cochin Bantam rooster one month old.
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom