OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

One of my buckeyes decided to strike a pretty pose for me today

Attachments

• 20170605_170305.jpg
    20170605_170305.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 4
Our flock is just over a year old and we have our first broody hen, a white Plymouth Rock, that is setting around the clock on an empty nest. No roo, just layers. This has been going on for three days, and so far she still comes out for a few minutes and eats/drinks a couple times a day. She seems to be disrupting the other 5 girls from laying in the nest boxes (we have a bank of 6) and today we had eggs scattered around various hideyholes near the coop. The books and neighbors have a variety of ideas, but before we start dragging her out of the nest box, I'm curious what you all recommend that has worked in the past. Thanks!

Our flock is just over a year old and we have our first broody hen, a white Plymouth Rock, that is setting around the clock on an empty nest. No roo, just layers. This has been going on for three days, and so far she still comes out for a few minutes and eats/drinks a couple times a day. She seems to be disrupting the other 5 girls from laying in the nest boxes (we have a bank of 6) and today we had eggs scattered around various hideyholes near the coop. The books and neighbors have a variety of ideas, but before we start dragging her out of the nest box, I'm curious what you all recommend that has worked in the past. Thanks!
Our hens would either lay in the nest when the broody went out to eat/drink, or used the nest next to her nest. We removed the eggs daily, she was not happy that we snuck our hand under her to steal her babies, but she never pecked us, just gave us the evil eye. This went on for a long time, like a month. So far, that was our one and only experience with a broody hen.

"Our hens would either lay in the nest when the broody went out to eat/drink, or used the nest next to her nest. We removed the eggs daily, she was not happy that we snuck our hand under her to steal her babies, but she never pecked us, just gave us the evil eye. This went on for a long time, like a month. So far, that was our one and only experience with a broody hen."

We have settled into the same pattern now. The broody comes out in the morning to feed and water, then sets for the day in one of the boxes. The other hens have adjusted and are laying in one of the adjacent boxes. Guess we'll wait her out. We don't need her eggs right now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Back
Top Bottom