OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

good luck with your move! We are not natives either, but have lived in OH for a number of years. Are you moving due to a job?

Husband's job mostly. He works for PSA, and one of the potential bases to fly out of is Dayton. That plus the cheap cost of living makes it pretty great for us. I'm sure I'm one of a small few, but I'm also happy to get out of FL. Too hot down here for me! I like snow and winter! haha

Husband's job mostly. He works for PSA, and one of the potential bases to fly out of is Dayton. That plus the cheap cost of living makes it pretty great for us. I'm sure I'm one of a small few, but I'm also happy to get out of FL. Too hot down here for me! I like snow and winter! haha
My oldest lives in FL about 1 hour east of Pensacola, near the coast. Also does not like the never ending heat, rejoices when the cooler air arrives. Plans to “settle in the upper half of the US, so there will be cold weather”. Plenty to do around Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus.

My oldest lives in FL about 1 hour east of Pensacola, near the coast. Also does not like the never ending heat, rejoices when the cooler air arrives. Plans to “settle in the upper half of the US, so there will be cold weather”. Plenty to do around Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus.

Hahaha, glad to know we are not alone! So many people seem to feel the opposite.

Do any of you guys sell eggs and what are you charging? We were charging 1.50 per dozen, 1.25 each for two dozen or more. Originally, people were looking at us like they thought that was expensive. Now, people are beginning to ask us for eggs, and they're looking at us like they think that's cheap. Ohio is notoriously cheap, so what d'ya think?

Do any of you guys sell eggs and what are you charging? We were charging 1.50 per dozen, 1.25 each for two dozen or more. Originally, people were looking at us like they thought that was expensive. Now, people are beginning to ask us for eggs, and they're looking at us like they think that's cheap. Ohio is notoriously cheap, so what d'ya think?

Depends on your locality. In cities like Cleveland, grocery chains sell pastured eggs (or those that the carton pictures LEAD people, erroneously, to believe that they are from happy, healthy chickens) for $4.00 a dozen.

I just sell my extra eggs, about 3 dozen a week because I don't want to waste them. I know I could cook and feed to dogs, but I don't. In the past, I have had more eggs and more people interested in buying the eggs. I have lost at least 20 chickens this summer due to dogs and hawks.
Next summer, I plan to put a fenced in area inside our property so the neighbor dogs and our basset hound can't reach them.

I also sell my eggs for $2 a dz. I had quite a few people buying them, but no one's been really been laying since September and I've lost 3 of my 4 production hens this fall.

Back
Top Bottom