OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

hey! im from NE OHIO. starting my first layer flock id LOVE to have a few ducks too but i cant figure out how to keep them HERE. in my yard when i have no pond...( BABYPOOL? idk ) and my father in law and his lovely pond are 800 meters away lol also im afraid my chickens would drown in the pool?... BUT i want ducks badly haha

hi all!!
Ducks are messy...messymessymessy...but who can resist the face of a call duck??

I raised Wood and Mandarin ducks with my chickens for a few years and was able to keep the chickens from drowning by putting some wire mesh in the water, at an angle like a ladder. If a chicken jumped in, it was able to make it over to the mesh and climb out. Lost two in the month before I put the mesh in, and never lost another one in the couple of years after. The ducks seems to prefer it as their means of escape from the pool as well.

-B

So, we're breaking down and getting chicks after all! All is took was getting Hubs to the poultry show on Saturday and he was back home building a bigger pen for the puppies so we can repurpose the whelping box as a brooder. Even bought me an incubator for my birthday!

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on organic chick and layer feed that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks!

Oh yeah, we're getting blue and black Marans by the way. Hopefully picking them up on Thursday! Won't be surprised if some TSC chicks happen in there as well.
wink.png

So, we're breaking down and getting chicks after all! All is took was getting Hubs to the poultry show on Saturday and he was back home building a bigger pen for the puppies so we can repurpose the whelping box as a brooder. Even bought me an incubator for my birthday!

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on organic chick and layer feed that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks!

Oh yeah, we're getting blue and black Marans by the way. Hopefully picking them up on Thursday! Won't be surprised if some TSC chicks happen in there as well.
wink.png
You will love your Blue and Black Marans! I picked two Black and 1 Blue up from a local farmer who took VERY good are of them and they are sweethearts. Never skipped a beat laying through the tumult of relocation.

wink.png
Check around for grain elevators and make some calls. We drive down to Mt Eaton elevator a couple of times a year. It's a long drive so we stock up for a few months when we go. It's much much cheaper than buying organic from TSC or any of the farm stores in our area.

hi all! I have a chick/pullet question... my chicks are about 7 weeks old and will soon be going outside to their new coop home. right now they are in our basement in a converted shower stall. (ingenuity at its best). anyways, night before last was the first night we had left off the lamp at night to start adjusting them prior to their move. the next day I noticed that on off my girls was tucking her head under her chest and seeming to 'rub' the side of her face on her chest as well as Peking at her feathers a lot. she does this most of the time and keeps her head down most of the other time. she does seem to be eating, but yesterday when she would drink, she did not lift her head up and the water all seemed to run outnofnher mouth. I am thinking it is wry/crook neck?? have massaged her neck some today. anyone deal with this before and how did it turn out for you chicken? thanks for any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom