OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

here is a picture of the new baby boy he is two days old,he is a pygmy goat,

Oh My!!! He is soooo Cute! How old are they when you sell them and how much do you sell them for? I mentioned him to DH and he didn't say anything negative!!
fl.gif
I was serious about getting a couple. You can PM me with details.

My Silkie should have hatch day tues this week after she hatches them can I make her free range again so that she can raise thm?
yes, but we always keep our new hatch chicks and their mother in a pen on their own for the first four to six weeks. We put mother and chicks out in the tractor when the weather is nice, but the rest of the time they are in the pen. We think it helps protect the chicks and gives the mother some peace of mind while she figures out how to deal with them all, and it also protects them from the rest of the flock, which can be aggressive. Sometime between four and six weeks (not any longer) you can let the mother out with the babies, and she will show them what they need to know outside, about predators, where food, water, and shelter are, and so forth. It depends on the mother, and sometimes the sex of the chicks, how soon the mother will want to "fledge" them...if you are worried, four weeks is probably old enough to let them out in most cases. At six weeks and beyond, she will definitely be ready to boot them out on their own. Usually, anyway. You don't HAVE to do it this way, but that's just what we do, especially if they are free ranging.

yes, but we always keep our new hatch chicks and their mother in a pen on their own for the first four to six weeks. We put mother and chicks out in the tractor when the weather is nice, but the rest of the time they are in the pen. We think it helps protect the chicks and gives the mother some peace of mind while she figures out how to deal with them all, and it also protects them from the rest of the flock, which can be aggressive. Sometime between four and six weeks (not any longer) you can let the mother out with the babies, and she will show them what they need to know outside, about predators, where food, water, and shelter are, and so forth. It depends on the mother, and sometimes the sex of the chicks, how soon the mother will want to "fledge" them...if you are worried, four weeks is probably old enough to let them out in most cases. At six weeks and beyond, she will definitely be ready to boot them out on their own. Usually, anyway. You don't HAVE to do it this way, but that's just what we do, especially if they are free ranging.
there cage isn't very big, its just a cage sadly. I have one who was already free range hatch and is raising her 2 little ones. I want the silkie to be able to do the same thing but she hasn't been free ranged in a few months and I don't want to take the chicks from her to put with mine I want her to be able to be a momma too, its adorable but I didn't plan their cages very well in case!

Stevens21~~~We keep ours in a pen within the coop. That way, she can take care of them and get used to them without the adults bothering her. We have a chicken tractor that has a cover over one end for protection from the elements, but it is not enclosed. It has a 3-4 inch raised platform and a roost in the enclosed end. I have a nest box that we put in there and after about a week, we put momma and chicks in the tractor. This way they are outside, scratching around in the grass and can get in the nest box when they want. We keep them inside the lot with the others so everyone gets used to each other. It works out good for us. I will post a pic of our tractor DH built.
How are the silkie roos? SORRY, posted on wrong comment!!!

Last edited:
We keep ours in a pen within the coop. That way, she can take care of them and get used to them without the adults bothering her. We have a chicken tractor that has a cover over one end for protection from the elements, but it is not enclosed. It has a 3-4 inch raised platform and a roost in the enclosed end. I have a nest box that we put in there and after about a week, we put momma and chicks in the tractor. This way they are outside, scratching around in the grass and can get in the nest box when they want. We keep them inside the lot with the others so everyone gets used to each other. It works out good for us.
How are the silkie roos?
i love that idea, i might have to get my had to be creative on that!

I still have the roos, she told me today she couldn't get them until next Sunday.. part of me wouldn't mind if she changes her mind because they are pretty! I have them up in the rabbit hutch

The run build is done! Brahmas and Cochins are in small coop inside of the run to transition,I need to look info for time limits yet. But the run is covered top and sides plus has a 2' dig barrier covered. Oh and gate has a footer of concrete block under it. Have yet to see any of the girls swing or roost outside.:)

Okay guys I don't know much about chickens still yet, and there are a lot of diseases I don't know about.. I got a message from a friend who was supposed to pick up some roos over the weekend.. (which now I am glad that she couldn't, at first I was a little annoyed)

Ok so I need your and bills advice. I went an bought 27 3 week old chicks. From Bethel mill!! All in good health and was living up at the mill fir 2 1/2 weeks. I bought 6 3 year old layers just so I could get eggs now. Well after I I.introduced them into the flock about 2 days later half on my chicks started randomly dying. And now all 6 layers are dead. I now have 8 chicks and 3 hens that are about. 2 months old (survived the dog attack!) So this morning before I left for work 1 more chick was dead and 2 were just laying there probably going to be dead before I get home. What is going on and what should I do?

1st question I asked is where they got the chicks.. which was mt healthy (i thought bill read sometime not long ago they had a outbreak?)

My healthy hatchery. The chicks were fine and had been at the mill doing great for over 2 weeks
As soon as I I.introduced the big ones everything started dying.
So what do I do?

This is a Brian problem to me.. I don't know what to even tell her!

there cage isn't very big, its just a cage sadly. I have one who was already free range hatch and is raising her 2 little ones. I want the silkie to be able to do the same thing but she hasn't been free ranged in a few months and I don't want to take the chicks from her to put with mine I want her to be able to be a momma too, its adorable but I didn't plan their cages very well in case!
It's totally up to you & the broody when she rejoins the flock. I would put her cage in the coop for a couple days & then open the door & let her decide where to go.
Okay guys I don't know much about chickens still yet, and there are a lot of diseases I don't know about.. I got a message from a friend who was supposed to pick up some roos over the weekend.. (which now I am glad that she couldn't, at first I was a little annoyed)
Ok so I need your and bills advice. I went an bought 27 3 week old chicks. From Bethel mill!! All in good health and was living up at the mill fir 2 1/2 weeks. I bought 6 3 year old layers just so I could get eggs now. Well after I I.introduced them into the flock about 2 days later half on my chicks started randomly dying. And now all 6 layers are dead. I now have 8 chicks and 3 hens that are about. 2 months old (survived the dog attack!) So this morning before I left for work 1 more chick was dead and 2 were just laying there probably going to be dead before I get home. What is going on and what should I do?

1st question I asked is where they got the chicks.. which was mt healthy (i thought bill read sometime not long ago they had a outbreak?)

My healthy hatchery. The chicks were fine and had been at the mill doing great for over 2 weeks
As soon as I I.introduced the big ones everything started dying.
So what do I do?

This is a Brian problem to me.. I don't know what to even tell her!
Without knowing symptoms this could literally be anything. Always quarantine new birds for 30 days.

Back
Top Bottom