OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Great horned owl killed 2 of my 3 silver appleyard ducks.

Anyone have any silver appleyard breeder's they know of?

Or buff goslings?

Thanks,

Cam

PS I am just south of Columbus. Near Orient, OH.

Last edited:
Okay guys I don't know much about chickens still yet, and there are a lot of diseases I don't know about.. I got a message from a friend who was supposed to pick up some roos over the weekend.. (which now I am glad that she couldn't, at first I was a little annoyed)
Ok so I need your and bills advice. I went an bought 27 3 week old chicks. From Bethel mill!! All in good health and was living up at the mill fir 2 1/2 weeks. I bought 6 3 year old layers just so I could get eggs now. Well after I I.introduced them into the flock about 2 days later half on my chicks started randomly dying. And now all 6 layers are dead. I now have 8 chicks and 3 hens that are about. 2 months old (survived the dog attack!) So this morning before I left for work 1 more chick was dead and 2 were just laying there probably going to be dead before I get home. What is going on and what should I do?

1st question I asked is where they got the chicks.. which was mt healthy (i thought bill read sometime not long ago they had a outbreak?)

My healthy hatchery. The chicks were fine and had been at the mill doing great for over 2 weeks
As soon as I I.introduced the big ones everything started dying.
So what do I do?

This is a Brian problem to me.. I don't know what to even tell her!
Mt Healthy Hatchery has had another outbreak of salmonella, third year on a row. You should go to the CDC and read their recommendations. You should not be selling any chicks, or chickens unless you have quarentined the new chicks from the rest of the flock. All birds will be infected. Ignoring this and seeking chickens is irresponsible &givesall of us a bad name. This will also give fuel tothe fire for municipalities to ban chickens. We nee to be responsible chicken owners. The strains in the outbreak its very dangerous to humans. Just my 2 cents

Mt Healthy Hatchery has had another outbreak of salmonella, third year on a row. You should go to the CDC and read their recommendations.
You should not be selling any chicks, or chickens unless you have quarentined the new chicks from the rest of the flock. All birds will be infected. Ignoring this and seeking chickens is irresponsible &givesall of us a bad name. This will also give fuel tothe fire for municipalities to ban chickens. We nee to be responsible chicken owners.
The strains in the outbreak its very dangerous to humans.
Just my 2 cents
What she is saying is that the 3 older chickens that were NOT from Mt. Healthy were introduced and now all the chicks are dying.... Also, she wasn't selling any chicks or chickens (her friend was going to pick some up), she is asking for advice on what disease could have caused this.... I understand where you are coming from but it came off a little harsh. She just lost a lot of chicks and chickens....

@ Stevens21 were there any symptoms? Weakness, wattery stool, excessive thirst?

there cage isn't very big, its just a cage sadly. I have one who was already free range hatch and is raising her 2 little ones. I want the silkie to be able to do the same thing but she hasn't been free ranged in a few months and I don't want to take the chicks from her to put with mine I want her to be able to be a momma too, its adorable but I didn't plan their cages very well in case!
You can get a small tractor from TSC, I think it's around100.00. Sounds like a lot, but they are useful for a lot of things. Or, just build one! Easy for me to say, but we had a friend build a tractor from PCV pipe for us, we use it all the time. Always good to have a couple extra pens around, for broodies & babies, or sickies. Good luck & have fun.
smile.png

What she is saying is that the 3 older chickens that were NOT from Mt. Healthy were introduced and now all the chicks are dying.... Also, she wasn't selling any chicks or chickens (her friend was going to pick some up), she is asking for advice on what disease could have caused this.... I understand where you are coming from but it came off a little harsh. She just lost a lot of chicks and chickens....

@ Stevens21 were there any symptoms? Weakness, wattery stool, excessive thirst?
Thank you, she called Mt Healthy today and they told her to try corid for a parasites I think they called cockatoxima? she didn't let me know about any symptoms its been a long time since I have seen her set up even - I keep all my new birds in a certain pen until its time to indroctuce them and even now I am working with certain breeds I keep them to a area all to themselves.

From the looks of it.. I might now be on the hunt for 2 Silkie Hens to keep the two new guy company =)

Well since im wanting to raise just jersey giants.i have three barred rock chicks two days old,also two ee 1 day old,1 year barred rock rooster,1 barred rock hen 1 year old,and a very bright orange rooster 2 years old.chicks are 5 each and the two roosters are 3 each and the hen is 10 bucks.anyone interested let me know.
D.gif

Well since im wanting to raise just jersey giants.i have three barred rock chicks two days old,also two ee 1 day old,1 year barred rock rooster,1 barred rock hen 1 year old,and a very bright orange rooster 2 years old.chicks are 5 each and the two roosters are 3 each and the hen is 10 bucks.anyone interested let me know. :cd

Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom