OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Oh no!! I'm off for months and Brian, you're selling? I can understand, actually -- moving is the pits and it sure does seem easier to sell off everything and then start fresh at the new place. And Chickawawa, I was so sorry to hear about your basques. I'm currently hunting for a new breeding roo for mine -- I almost broke down and sold them off, but I'm too happy with the hens. It's the roo that's the problem; he needs to be replaced. So I'm hunting.

I've got my laptop home for a couple of days, trying to get a website built for my mom -- it's scary how much more work I get done when it isn't in the house. So hi everybody!!! And happy 2014!

I have been thinking about ordering some meat chickens, and thought about maybe selling some too to a few friends or local people. Is there a law set up in ohio that I should re-think this or maybe just stick to my own family?

From what I could find doing a quick search is that processing and selling your own without a license is a no-no. There are ways around it. One I found was to sell your friends and neighbors the live birds. They then take the birds to a licensed processing facility to have them butchered. Friends and neighbors then pick the packages up from the facility and pay them for the processing. You are free to raise and process your own birds for your own consumption.

A thread here on BYC that has a little bit of info and a link is...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/808576/selling-processed-birds

Edit to add...
Of course you could have them chip in on initial purchase then help with the processing. That way they are the owners of said birds and not bound by the ORC nonsense.

I have been thinking about ordering some meat chickens, and thought about maybe selling some too to a few friends or local people. Is there a law set up in ohio that I should re-think this or maybe just stick to my own family? 

Last edited:
Hey y'all!!!

Im in Hamilton Ohio, right between Dayton and Cinci. I am also new here and am looking into starting my own small flock. Anyone hear if Hens have been permitted?

Sunnyllama, only folks I can think of off the top of my head is Eagles Nest Poultry is Oceola, which isn't exactly east. They have nice birds, though! They might ship eggs - it'd be worth asking :) http://www.eaglenestpoultry.com/index.htm
Thanks so much! I had not heard of these guys before:) I was hoping to find somewhere to pick up, I have anxiety about shipped eggs, especially with this weird Ohio weather.
barnie.gif
I may have to break down, though, tis NOT the season for hatching eggs around here
wink.png

Hello All! Newbie just starting out in NE Ohio. I've helped my best friend on her farm and she has a yard full of layers but ready to start my own little flock. Hoping that I can keep it down to usable volumes . . . but then again, I've got rabbits and I know how quickly it can get out of control, lol. On a related note, if anyone knows where to get a hold of buckeyes and CCLs around Northeast Ohio let me know :) I've got my breeds picked!

Hello All! Newbie just starting out in NE Ohio. I've helped my best friend on her farm and she has a yard full of layers but ready to start my own little flock. Hoping that I can keep it down to usable volumes . . . but then again, I've got rabbits and I know how quickly it can get out of control, lol. On a related note, if anyone knows where to get a hold of buckeyes and CCLs around Northeast Ohio let me know :) I've got my breeds picked!
I see Buckeyes on Craigslist often in the spring and summer.

Back
Top Bottom