OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Our forst ever chocolate cochin pullet chick! Quickly becoming a favorite!
aze4e8e4.jpg
suqupyre.jpg
ejehyqyp.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, anyone fairly nearby going to have chicklets hatching soon to sell? I have 2 broodies who have been sitting for 2-3 weeks and I candled their eggs a couple nights ago and every last one of them is dead. I'd like to give them a shot at being mommas if I could find any chicks nearby and cheap enough. I have chicks now, but they're already a week or so old, and I have shipped eggs coming, but I don't want to make the ladies wait another 3-4 weeks.

Oh, and I contacted Meyer via live chat yesterday about my 23/27 dying over 5 months time, for anyone interested. The good news is, they were friendly and didn't immediately say "Sorry, Charlie". The bad news is, this gal had to run the situation by her manager and said she'd get back to me today. Yesterday was a hatch day and they were extra busy. I dunno..that doesn't sound promising to me, but
fl.gif
fl.gif
Another update. Meyer emailed me today and said they'd only give me credit for the 2 that died the first week, nevermind the other 21... Credited me a whole $3.98. Woo. Yeah, they can keep that. I stand by what I said, still never ordering from them again. And can't honestly recommend them to anyone.

Our forst ever chocolate cochin pullet chick! Quickly becoming a favorite!
aze4e8e4.jpg
suqupyre.jpg
ejehyqyp.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
love.gif
Precious

Anyone ever get their chicks from Eagles Nest Hatchery? We got ten in March. 8 were suppose to be sexed and two banties. They are beautiful healthy birds but one of our sexed chicks is now crowing and looks male. I'm afraid one of the Rhode Island Reds may be male too but not sure yet. If I call them do you think they'll make it right? They are 15 weeks old now.

The dark EE is crowing now.

This is the RIR I'm worried about.
We can't have roosters in town :(

Last edited:
Anyone ever get their chicks from Eagles Nest Hatchery? We got ten in March. 8 were suppose to be sexed and two banties. They are beautiful healthy birds but one of our sexed chicks is now crowing and looks male. I'm afraid one of the Rhode Island Reds may be male too but not sure yet. If I call them do you think they'll make it right? They are 15 weeks old now.

The dark EE is crowing now.

This is the RIR I'm worried about.
We can't have roosters in town :(

They are not prefect. They only guarantee a 95% pullet order. You can call, they should replace or refund. I'd say they'll refund cause it's about impossible to ship 2 chicks and they won't take the roos back.

Last edited:
Side shots would give you a better answer on the rir. Your dark EE is definitely a roo. Your lighter one looks like a pullet, but side shots would help. It looks like your rir has shiny saddle feathers, but it may be the picture.

Last edited:
@ShayBaby I'll have porcelain d'uncle chicks on the 18. Last post from me for the night, I swear!

I've got a couple broodies shooting on the eggs and I don't want to keep them all.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! Hope everyone is having a great summer! My hatch didn't go so well. Of the 8 I set, only 2 had chicks. At lockdown they were both alive, but only 1 hatched on July 4. It ruptured its yolk sac and died on sunday. So I'm done hatching for now. Had to get rid of 2 of my roos this weekend. They were beating up my marans roo. He is such a gentle soul. He got into another fight yesterday and now his left eye is shut and a little swollen. It looks whitish underneath it. Infection? No oozing or runny eye though. Can someone tell me what I should do for his eye? I don't know if he is depressed, traumatized or his eye is bothering him or all 3. I found him this evening just laying in the yard with his head in the grass. He got right up when I touched him and he is up eating and drinking, just mopey.
Shaybaby~had a broody hatch out 4 a couple of weeks ago. I definitely LOVE
love.gif
broodies! That is the way to go for me when wanting to hatch eggs. I have had more broodies this year than I have had in the last 5 years put together. Just not when I want them to be!!!
lol.png
I have 2 now, but I'm not going to let them hatch any. I have all I need just now. I'm hoping these new chicks are all hens!! I don't want or need anymore roos!! How are the silkies?

~Minihorse927~ that Is a cute chick! I just love watching them. The 4 the broodie hatched out are so much fun to watch. I could just sit for hours watching mamma hen with her chicks! The little one that died on sunday was a cutie. Since he was the only one, we would hold and cuddle him. He loved to be cuddled!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! Hope everyone is having a great summer! My hatch didn't go so well.  Of the 8 I set, only 2 had chicks. At lockdown they were both alive, but only 1 hatched on July 4.  It ruptured its yolk sac and died on sunday.  So I'm done hatching for now.  Had to get rid of 2 of my roos this weekend. They were beating up my marans roo. He is such a gentle soul.  He got into another fight yesterday and now his left eye is shut and a little swollen.  It looks whitish underneath it. Infection?  No oozing or runny eye though.  Can someone tell me what I should do for his eye? I don't know if he is depressed, traumatized or his eye is bothering him or all 3.  I found him this evening just laying in the yard with his head in the grass.  He got right up when I touched him and he is up eating and drinking, just mopey.
Shaybaby~had a broody hatch out 4 a couple of weeks ago.  I definitely LOVE:love broodies! That is the way to go for me when wanting to hatch eggs.  I have had more broodies this year than I have had in the last 5 years put together.  Just not when I want them to be!!! :lol: I have 2 now, but I'm not going to let them hatch any.  I have all I need just now.  I'm hoping these new chicks are all hens!! I don't want or need anymore roos!! How are the silkies?
when I get one that has a swollen eye, I spray vetrycin wound and infection spray in their eye 2 or 3 times a day. Check it closer and make sure it isn't turning blue anywhere. Vetrycin will not hurt the eye.

@ShayBaby I'll have porcelain d'uncle chicks on the 18. Last post from me for the night, I swear!

I've got a couple broodies shooting on the eggs and I don't want to keep them all.
Ooh. That would be great, if you do have extras. I'll get back with you around then and see how it goes. That's going to be a hectic time since we're going to be working willy-nilly to get things done (like my extended poultry run *cough* *pointed glare in DH's general direction*) before Gary heads off to basic this month, but I should be able to find time to run up that way.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom